Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mr_wizard
Helper II
Helper II

'Parameter rules' option in deployment pipeline disabled

I have a tabular cube created in Visual Studio Professional 2022 (created with the 'Microsoft Analysis Services Projects' extension). I created parameters for my data source (an Azure SQL MI instance). When I'm in the expression editor (Power Query Editor), I can see my parameters as items in my query list. But, when I access Query \ Manage Parameters, none appear. And, after I deploy my cube to a Power BI workspace (under Premium capacity), when I try to configure deployment rules in a deployment pipeline, I only see an option for 'Data source rule'; 'Parameter rules' is disabled.

How can I resolve this? That is, how can I make my parameters actually act as parameters, i.e., to appear in Manage Parameters in Visual Studio and to give me the 'Parameter rules' option in a deployment pipeline in the Power BI web service?

2 REPLIES 2
johnbasha33
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@mr_wizard 

1. Parameters in Visual Studio:

• Ensure that you have defined your parameters correctly in your Tabular Model project in Visual Studio. Parameters should be defined in the Model.bim file under the Parameters section.
    • Check if the parameters are set to be Visible and/or Required. Parameters must be set as Visible to appear in the Manage Parameters window.
    • If your parameters are not appearing in the Manage Parameters window, try closing and reopening Visual Studio to see if they appear after the restart. Sometimes, this can refresh the view and display the parameters correctly.
  2. Deployment Rules in Power BI Service:

• Make sure that your Tabular Model project in Visual Studio is configured to support deployment rules for parameters. This may involve setting the appropriate properties for your parameters in the Model.bim file.
    • Ensure that you have the necessary permissions in Power BI Service to configure deployment rules. You need the appropriate roles and permissions to configure deployment pipelines and rules.
    • Verify that the deployment pipeline is set up correctly and that it is pointing to the correct artifacts in your Power BI workspace. Ensure that you have selected the correct model and dataset for deployment.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

I'm confused.  As far as I know, there is no such thing as a 'Parameters' section (folder) in Visual Studio.  The closest thing to that is the 'Expressions' folder, which contains my parameters.  I just inspected by Model.bim file in Tabular Editor, and Tabular Editor also doesn't have a 'Parameters' section or folder.  It's named 'Shared Expressions' in Tabular Editor.  I compared the M query of a parameter in Power BI Desktop to that in Visual Studio.  They're nearly identical.  The only difference is that a parameter in Power BI Desktop doesn't involve a "let ... in" statement.  Interestingly, I tried removing the "let ... in" statement, and doing so allows me to view the parameter in the Manage Parameters window.  But, as soon as I exit the Power Query Editor window, it reverts back.  So, perhaps I'm not creating parameters correctly in Visual Studio.  What is the correct way to create parameters in Visual Studio?  If it matters, I'm using parameters for my data sources (as opposed to, say, fields).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors