Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

asaphho

Only 1 out of 2 Default Parameter Values in a Power BI Paginated Report Works

I made a paginated report using Power BI Report Builder. I started with 1 parameter, a text parameter that allows for multiple values. The available values for this parameter were taken from a field in a table. I also set a default value for this parameter, taking the exact same field from the same table from which I took the available values. Essentially, by default, it will take all the available values. When it is published to the Power BI service, on opening it I can see that the parameter has taken on all the available values by default, which is expected.

I have since added a second parameter to the paginated report, of the same kind as the first parameter. It is also a text parameter allowing for multiple values. I configured the available and default values in the same way as well. The available and default values for this parameter were taken from the same field in the same table (albeit a different field and different table from the first parameter). However, upon publishing this new paginated report to the Power BI service and opening it there, I see that only the first parameter takes on its default values by default. The second parameter does not have any value set for it by default. Looking at the settings for these two parameters in Power BI Report Builder, I made sure that I configured them in the same way. Running the paginated report in Report Builder also manifests the same issue. The second parameter does not take on the default values by default.

The difference between these two parameters is that the first parameter was merely used in a calculated field in one of the other datasets (let's call that the main dataset), while the second parameter was used to filter the query for the main dataset. The dataset for the default values of the first parameter, the corresponding one for the second parameter, and the main dataset are three different datasets.

What is the reason for the default values for the second parameter not being passed to the paginated report as it runs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @asaphho 

Based on your description, it seems the issue with the default values for the second parameter not being applied in your Power BI paginated report could be related to how the parameters interact with the datasets and their specific roles within the report. Here are some potential reasons and considerations:

1. Dataset Query Execution Order: When parameters are used to filter a dataset's query directly, the report needs the parameter values before it can execute the query to retrieve the dataset. If the second parameter's default values are determined by a dataset that depends on the parameter itself for filtering, there might be a circular dependency or an execution order issue. The report might attempt to execute the dataset query before it has properly initialized the parameter's default values.

2. Parameter Initialization and Dataset Dependencies: The first parameter works as expected because it's used in a calculated field rather than directly influencing the dataset's retrieval through a query filter. This difference implies that the report can initialize the first parameter's default values without needing to execute the main dataset query first. However, for the second parameter, if the dataset that provides its default values depends (directly or indirectly) on the main dataset filtered by this parameter, there could be a dependency issue preventing the parameter from being initialized correctly.

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
asaphho

Hi @v-jialongy-msft, thank you for the explanation. I had a suspicion that it was due to order of execution of the datasets. In Report Builder, under the Report Data pane, I can see my datasets under the Datasets folder. The dataset that provides the values for the second parameter comes below the main dataset. Does that imply that the main dataset is executed before the second parameter's dataset? How can I change the order or execution?

v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @asaphho 

Based on your description, it seems the issue with the default values for the second parameter not being applied in your Power BI paginated report could be related to how the parameters interact with the datasets and their specific roles within the report. Here are some potential reasons and considerations:

1. Dataset Query Execution Order: When parameters are used to filter a dataset's query directly, the report needs the parameter values before it can execute the query to retrieve the dataset. If the second parameter's default values are determined by a dataset that depends on the parameter itself for filtering, there might be a circular dependency or an execution order issue. The report might attempt to execute the dataset query before it has properly initialized the parameter's default values.

2. Parameter Initialization and Dataset Dependencies: The first parameter works as expected because it's used in a calculated field rather than directly influencing the dataset's retrieval through a query filter. This difference implies that the report can initialize the first parameter's default values without needing to execute the main dataset query first. However, for the second parameter, if the dataset that provides its default values depends (directly or indirectly) on the main dataset filtered by this parameter, there could be a dependency issue preventing the parameter from being initialized correctly.

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have a parameter in power bi report builder named ClinicalProgram that is dependent on the selected value of of another parameter named Workflow. By default, all values of the ClinicalProgram parameter are selected which also allows all values of the Workflow parameter to be selected(By selected I mean all values checked). when one or more values of the clinicalprogram parameter is selected, the parameter workflow displays only 5 out of 7 values which is the logic, However, when I go back to the clinicalprogram parameter to select all, all the 7 values of the workflow parameter are displayed but only 5 is selected(checked) with two unchecked. This is causing all the workflow parameter to show 5 values when I deploy the report live. How so I resolve this so that all the 7 values of the workflow parameter is checked when I go back to select all Clinical Program Type?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors