Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

topsteus

Dataset_Import_FailedToImportDataset

Hi,

I'm getting next error when trying to use Git Integration with DevOps Git and saving files in pbip format. I have tried couple of diffent files which are importing the data from snowflake. 

Cluster URI ----

Request ID 09aaba19-f533-30ef-cdbc-96ce85595f22

Workload Error Code Dataset_Import_FailedToImportDataset

Workload Error Message Dataset Workload failed to import the dataset with dataset id

Desktop version: Version: 2.128.751.0 64-bit (April 2024)

With direct publishing to the service files are working fine, but not when gathered from DevOps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I just talked to Microsoft support and they helped me work through this issue. Here's what I had to do.

1. In PBI Service, from the workspace where Dataset_Import_FailedToImportDataset occurred, create a new branch as decribed in this article

2. Open the affected report(s) in PBI Desktop and publish to the service

3. In the PBI workspace, validate the the conflict has been resolved and commit the changes to the branch created in step 1.

4. Merge the branch back into the source

5. Swap the workspace back to the source branch

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
steveplatz2
Frequent Visitor

I'm experiencing similar behavior. I have a development branch where I made a few changes using version 2.128.952.0 (24.04). If I try to sync my workspace with that branch, any files updated using that version show a conflict and I get the error: 

Workload Error Code Dataset_Import_FailedToImportDataset

Workload Error Message Dataset Workload failed to import the dataset with dataset id <id>

If I switch the workspace branch back to main, where the files were updated with version 2.127.1327.0 (24.03), all of the datasets / reports synchronize as expected. 

I just talked to Microsoft support and they helped me work through this issue. Here's what I had to do.

1. In PBI Service, from the workspace where Dataset_Import_FailedToImportDataset occurred, create a new branch as decribed in this article

2. Open the affected report(s) in PBI Desktop and publish to the service

3. In the PBI workspace, validate the the conflict has been resolved and commit the changes to the branch created in step 1.

4. Merge the branch back into the source

5. Swap the workspace back to the source branch

Hi @steveplatz2 ,
I had the same issue as mentioned above, but what I tried to do, was simply just publish the report manually to the workspace and sync back into Git, resolving the Git conflict with Keep Incoming Changes.

But, do you know, if Microsoft is working on this issue, because the mentioned steps is just a workaround.

@Barre I don't know if this is an issue that Microsoft is working to correct or not. No indication was given on my call.

topsteus

Hi @johnbasha33@v-yohua-msft ,

seems that I have expressed myself a little bit incorrect. 

Power BI files are working okay themselves but the Workload error comes when Git Integration is used from Power BI Service.

Workspace is configured in Power BI service to connect to Git Branch. 

topsteus_0-1713336179509.png

The error is risen when used update all from source control. 

topsteus_1-1713336345629.png

v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @topsteus 

Check the .pbip file compatibility, since you mentioned that there will be problems when saving the file in format, make sure that the file format is generated correctly and follows the pbip schema document:

powerbi-desktop-samples/item-schemas/common/pbip.md at main · microsoft/powerbi-desktop-samples · Gi...

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@topsteus 

It seems like you're encountering an error when trying to use Git integration with Power BI Desktop and saving files in .pbix format, specifically when importing data from Snowflake. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. Check Data Source Credentials: Ensure that the data source credentials for Snowflake are correctly configured in Power BI Desktop. If the credentials are invalid or expired, it can cause import failures.

2. Review Power BI Desktop Logs: Check the Power BI Desktop logs for more detailed error messages or warnings. You can access the logs by selecting "Help" > "View logs" from the Power BI Desktop menu.

3. Verify Data Source Connectivity: Confirm that Power BI Desktop can successfully connect to Snowflake and retrieve data without any errors. You can test the connection by creating a new query or refreshing existing queries in Power BI Desktop.

4. Check Dataset Size: If the dataset being imported from Snowflake is large, it may exceed Power BI Desktop's memory limitations, especially when saving to .pbix format. Consider optimizing the dataset or using DirectQuery mode to query the data directly from Snowflake instead of importing it into Power BI Desktop.

5. Review Git Integration Settings: Double-check the Git integration settings in Power BI Desktop to ensure that the repository and branch are configured correctly. Verify that you have the necessary permissions to push changes to the repository in Azure DevOps Git.

6. Update Power BI Desktop: Ensure that you're using the latest version of Power BI Desktop. Microsoft regularly releases updates and bug fixes that may address issues with Git integration and data import.

7. Check Azure DevOps Settings: Review the settings and permissions in Azure DevOps to ensure that there are no restrictions or limitations that could be affecting the Git integration process.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors