Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

On premise Gateway refresh not working after changing computer password.

My organization has been using an on-premise data gateway (personal mode) from my laptop to upload an refresh data to PBI service. Recently, I had to change my computer password as required by out I.T. department. This caused several data sources (all are excel based files) to no longer automatically load. Thus impacted reports are no longer being refreshed automatically on a daily basis.
How can this be fixed? Has anybody else ran into this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

In personal mode, the service runs as you. Open the gateway on your PC and confirm you can still sign in to the service.

Once you've done that, go to the service and confirm all datasources are authenticated properly in the gateway config.

This is one reason it is best to use the Enterprise mode as it runs as a service and not as a user. And when possible, log into resources using a service account and not a user account.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @Anonymous ,

Would you Provide detailed information on the errors reported?

As the Power BI Personal Gateway is install as an application it will always run using the account and password you’re currently logged in with. So if you’re not logged into Windows the data won’t refresh and the scheduled will fail.

You need to go to refresh settings for the dataset. In Manage Data Sources, select Edit credentials to update the credentials for the data source to ensure that the username and password you use to log in to the data source are up to date.

vjinweilimsft_0-1646727730546.png

Also, since you are changing the password for windows, we recommend that you download and install the Personal Gateway again and try it with your original Power BI account.

If the above methods still don’t resolve your issue, you can try clearing the cache of expired browser credentials.

For more information, you can refer to:

Troubleshooting Power BI gateway (personal mode)

Data refresh failure because of password change or expired credentials

Best Regards,
Jinwei Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

edhans
Super User
Super User

In personal mode, the service runs as you. Open the gateway on your PC and confirm you can still sign in to the service.

Once you've done that, go to the service and confirm all datasources are authenticated properly in the gateway config.

This is one reason it is best to use the Enterprise mode as it runs as a service and not as a user. And when possible, log into resources using a service account and not a user account.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors