Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBI_Chaos
Helper I
Helper I

Need Help, Data Missing in Report, but Visible in Dataflow

Hello,

I recently joined a company where I took over a PowerBI reporting infrastructure from someone who left.  I have been working to make sense of how his reporting structure and data sources are organized and setup, as they rely heavily on Excel and Sharepoint List data sources.

I came across an issue in one of our timesheet reports that I cannot figure out.  I believe that this issue is related to Fabric potentially, though it may be coming from PowerQuery or a Report setting.  

The report in question has numerous tabs breaking down employee timesheet data by different categories (manager, project, etc.).  In addition, you can view the raw data in one tab.  The report pulls from an single Excel based datasource, which has a large table containing the combined timesheet data from employees.  There is a dataflow that connects to this excel document, and using PowerQuery transforms it as necessary for the reporting. 

The company Fiscal Year (FY) goes October - September.  So October marks the first month of the new fiscal year for 2024.  

The data in the report only shows up through September, and does not show any data beyond the week beginning Sept 24th.  It has a report-wide filter with FY24 available as a selectable option.  I have also confirmed that in the data source (excel document & data flow) FY24 data for October has been loaded (2-weeks worth currently) successfully, and with all the necessary qualifiers.  However, this data just does not show up in the end-report.  It shows up in the data source, as well as in the last step of the data flow.  

I cannot figure this out, is it possible there is something in between the dataflow and the report that could be filtering or limiting the data to show only up through FY23, and not into FY24?

Edit: From what I can tell, there is a Microsoft Fabric Dataflow (timesheet data), an accompanying "DataSet", and then the Report.  I don't understand where the dataset fits into the picture, between the dataflow and report.  Within the Dataset, I can see all the datasources that the report pulls from organized along with the reports generated.  However, when I click on the dataflows within the Dataset, nothing happens.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @PowerBI_Chaos 

The dataset is what is created in Fabric (which is a table in the lakehouse).

Depending on how much time you have, would it not be quicker to just re-create it as you know how to get the same details? Sometimes that is easier and quicker compared to trying to figure it out.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @PowerBI_Chaos 

The dataset is what is created in Fabric (which is a table in the lakehouse).

Depending on how much time you have, would it not be quicker to just re-create it as you know how to get the same details? Sometimes that is easier and quicker compared to trying to figure it out.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors