Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Max Parallelism Per Query stopped working?

I've been using this approach for a few weeks of changing Max Parallelism Per Query in a DirectQuery dataset published to a Premium capacity Workspace to have queries execute concurrently instead of consecutively:

DirectQuery parallelism in Power BI (crossjoin.co.uk)

It appears this stopped working recently.

I've tried reapplying the settings with Tabular Editor, and opening in Power BI Desktop, refreshing and republishing to Power BI Service, and reapplying configuration using Tabular Editor:

jeffshieldsdev_1-1698262618819.png

jeffshieldsdev_2-1698262627460.png

I'm still seeing a very much waterfall consecutive execution pattern in DAX Studio Server Timings tab:

jeffshieldsdev_0-1698262573347.png

Is anyone else experiencing the same?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

From Microsoft:

"product team have temporarily disabled parallelism for datasets utilizing aggregations. This decision was made due to internal errors that have risen with these datasets.

I am pleased to inform you that the product team has already fixed this issue. The fix is now (2023-11-09) ready for deployment on a cluster-by-cluster basis."

I have confirmed MaxParallelismPerQuery is being honored again.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

From Microsoft:

"product team have temporarily disabled parallelism for datasets utilizing aggregations. This decision was made due to internal errors that have risen with these datasets.

I am pleased to inform you that the product team has already fixed this issue. The fix is now (2023-11-09) ready for deployment on a cluster-by-cluster basis."

I have confirmed MaxParallelismPerQuery is being honored again.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @jeffshieldsdev 

I would suggest chatting to your Power BI Admin to see if they have made any changes to the capacity settings?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the reply.

I am capacity admin and haven't made any changes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors