Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

bvi2006

Gateway not working though ODBC does

Hi, 

I have installed a gateway on one subnet which needs to access a SQL server in another subnet. As a test I created an odbc connection from the gateway server to the SQL server and it works just fine. However, when trying to use the gateway with PowerBI online, it fails. I have received this message:

Received error payload from gateway service with ID 275505: SqlException encountered while accessing the target data source.

Where can I see any logs that will help me determine what the issue is? 
Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The issue was firewall related. Thank you @lbendlin  for suggesting trying SMSS. That showed me that just because 1433 was accessible did not mean I could connect to the database.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

does it work from SSMS on the gateway VM?

no, it does not actually, just tried that. Remote connections are allowed. It is not a named instance. I can telnet using the port from the gateway server. What else can I check? I have permissions to the db.

Thanks for you help.

Does SSMS give you any sort of error message?

I spoke with networking and I think it is a firewall issue where althought 1433 is allowed, there is an application rule which was not applied. I will let you know the results.

Thanks

The issue was firewall related. Thank you @lbendlin  for suggesting trying SMSS. That showed me that just because 1433 was accessible did not mean I could connect to the database.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Why ODBC and not a native connection?

ODBC was just a test to make sure I could reach the SQL server from the gateway.

Using the gateway, the connection to the sql server fails.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors