Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Karthik12
Helper V
Helper V

Gateway connection setup for two different SQL databases and refresh setting

Hi All,

I am handling two MS SQL databases from different sources. When I trying to setup schduled refresh, need to set up on premises gateway. 

I have installed on premises gataway in both databases PCs using my power bi account email id and trying to connect it from my laptop. But couldn't able to get through. On premises showing only first databased PC name in the "Running on....".

Second data PC name not showing in sub steps.

When I Setting up, Whole data schduled refresh failed due to second gateway failed.

Please help me to configure two on premises gateway in one power bi file?

Karthik12_0-1692850621495.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you want to get data from two sources you have to add both sources to ONE gateway.
Your selected gateway (marked with a dot) is performing then data from your sources.
Just to give you an idea.
It could see like this: there are different sources passing through one gateway to each region of your architecture 

sergej_og_0-1692914239716.png

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Karthik12 ,

Now, In the Power BI Service Portal, only one gateway connection can be set up for a dataset, since your database exists on two different computers, you can't go through the same gateway to create the connection.

Here are two solutions to this problem:

1. Install both databases on a single server, install the gateway on the server

2. Use these two databases to create two Power BI Datasets, install gateways on the computers where the two databases reside, configure the gateways and set up scheduled refreshes for the two datasets on the Power BI Service Portal, then use Power BI Desktop to connect to the two datasets via Direct Query to create reports and publish them to the Service.

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Karthik12
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @sergej_og 

Thanks for the guidance. I am trying to add second source gateway also with first one. but, am afraid that, first source may stopped and gateway may shifted to second machine and is it will affect anything?

Actually, I don't have option for a VM. So, I am trying with both data source machines.

Karthik12_0-1692893302936.png

After adding second source, first source got unselected like below

Still it will work?

Karthik12_0-1692893526202.png

If you want to get data from two sources you have to add both sources to ONE gateway.
Your selected gateway (marked with a dot) is performing then data from your sources.
Just to give you an idea.
It could see like this: there are different sources passing through one gateway to each region of your architecture 

sergej_og_0-1692914239716.png

Regards

sergej_og
Super User
Super User

You usually need one gateway (in best case on one separate VM) - not on each datasource machine.
When your gateway is registered in Service you can add different connections to your gateway (in Service) and access your data for refreshes.
Your Screen above looks good. Try to add your second datasource to this one from your Screen.
There should be then a second line with your second source - if connection is successfully established.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors