cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper II
Helper II

Direct qeury not working on service but does on desktop

Hi everyone I have an rapport that i published on PowerBI Service with direct query but it gives me an error that i cannot make an connection. But when i open it doen the desktop i can make a connection to the database and the report works. 

The reports uses an combination of import and direct query. The page that gives an error is the page with direct connetion

The error is in dutch but it says can "cannot connect to sql server. The datasource is not accessable or incorrect references.
Gateway1.PNGGateway2.png

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tanako1991 ,

Could you please check the whether the Authorization type is same in Power BI desktop and service? Or you can just delete the dataset in Power BI service and republish the report to check again.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Thanks for your reply!

This may be a stupid question but where can I find the Authorization type?

I have already tried to delete and upload the dataset multiple times

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tanako1991 ,

Edit query ->Edit permission

edit.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @tanako1991 ,

Has your issue been solved? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case. If any other question, feel free to let me know please.

Hello, I came here to post about the exact same issue as @tanako1991 . PowerBI direct query is working just fine on desktop, but once I publish the the PowerBi service I am getting an error despite, having a connected and running gateway. This seems to only have started occuring recently as well.

The data source and credentials all match. I also double checked that there's explicit access to the dataset in the service. 

Where else should I be looking to try to trouble shoot this issue?

DirectQuery1.jpg

Error message in the service once I am in the PowerBI Service. Credentials seem to be fine. 

Directquery2.JPG

Gateway seems to be up and running. Credentials match what is in the desktop direct query

Directquery3.JPG

DirectQuery4.JPG

You should look into Kerberos. After setting up everything correctly with kereberos it worked like a charm 😄

https://docs.microsoft.com/nl-nl/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-sso-kerberos

Helpful resources

Announcements
November Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2020 Updates!

Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

secondImage

Power Platform October Community Highlights

Check out the top community contributors across all of the communities

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors