Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Direct qeury not working on service but does on desktop

Hi everyone I have an rapport that i published on PowerBI Service with direct query but it gives me an error that i cannot make an connection. But when i open it doen the desktop i can make a connection to the database and the report works. 

The reports uses an combination of import and direct query. The page that gives an error is the page with direct connetion

The error is in dutch but it says can "cannot connect to sql server. The datasource is not accessable or incorrect references.
Gateway1.PNGGateway2.png

7 REPLIES 7
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Edit query ->Edit permission

edit.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Has your issue been solved? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case. If any other question, feel free to let me know please.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I came here to post about the exact same issue as @Anonymous . PowerBI direct query is working just fine on desktop, but once I publish the the PowerBi service I am getting an error despite, having a connected and running gateway. This seems to only have started occuring recently as well.

The data source and credentials all match. I also double checked that there's explicit access to the dataset in the service. 

Where else should I be looking to try to trouble shoot this issue?

DirectQuery1.jpg

Error message in the service once I am in the PowerBI Service. Credentials seem to be fine. 

Directquery2.JPG

Gateway seems to be up and running. Credentials match what is in the desktop direct query

Directquery3.JPG

DirectQuery4.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

You should look into Kerberos. After setting up everything correctly with kereberos it worked like a charm 😄

https://docs.microsoft.com/nl-nl/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-sso-kerberos

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please check the whether the Authorization type is same in Power BI desktop and service? Or you can just delete the dataset in Power BI service and republish the report to check again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have already tried to delete and upload the dataset multiple times

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply!

This may be a stupid question but where can I find the Authorization type?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors