Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ambarishkunte
Helper I
Helper I

Data flow temp files

Hi,

When a large dataflow (time taken for completion approx 4 hours) is executed against a On-prem data source via a gateway , does it create any kind of temp file or anything else which can cause disk space (storage) related issues on the gateway server ?

It was observed on the gateway server that C:\ was more than 90% utilized for a shorter period ( 5mins) while the installation of gateway is on D:\ . So not sure if there's any relation there

Regards,

Ambarish Kunte

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ambarishkunte ,

To my knowledge, you cannot set the spooling location to a custom directory. 

I have re-installed gateway(enterprise) on D disk , it is still located in C disk:

spooling folder.PNG

So as I mentioned before, when installing the gateway,we recommend you use a solid-state drive (SSD) as the spooling storage.

SSD.PNG

Refer to :
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Gateway-spooling-storage/m-p/941070

https://sharepointviews.com/setup-on-premises-data-gateway/

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ambarishkunte ,

To my knowledge, you cannot set the spooling location to a custom directory. 

I have re-installed gateway(enterprise) on D disk , it is still located in C disk:

spooling folder.PNG

So as I mentioned before, when installing the gateway,we recommend you use a solid-state drive (SSD) as the spooling storage.

SSD.PNG

Refer to :
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Gateway-spooling-storage/m-p/941070

https://sharepointviews.com/setup-on-premises-data-gateway/

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ambarishkunte ,

According to the official document about On-premises data gateway architecture ,You could know how the gateway works:

1. The cloud service creates a query and the encrypted credentials for the on-premises data source. The query and credentials are sent to the gateway queue for processing. For more information about credential encryption in Power BI, see Power BI security whitepaper.
  2. The gateway cloud service analyzes the query and pushes the request to Azure Service Bus Messaging.
  3. Azure Service Bus sends the pending requests to the gateway.
  4. The gateway gets the query, decrypts the credentials, and connects to one or more data sources with those credentials.
  5. The gateway sends the query to the data source to be run.
  6. The results are sent from the data source back to the gateway and then to the cloud service. The service then uses the results.

In step 6 , queries like Power BI refreshes and Azure Analysis Services refreshes can return large amounts of data. For such queries, data is temporarily stored on the gateway machine. This data storage continues until all data is received from the data source. The data is then sent back to the cloud service. This process is called spooling. We recommend you use a solid-state drive (SSD) as the spooling storage.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Thanks Eyelyn . 

The On-Prem Data Gateway is installed on a D:\ while it seems like the temp files are created in C:\ . Is there a way the location of generated temp file could be configured/changed ?

Regards,

Ambarish Kunte

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors