Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dashboard is not refreshing

Hi,

We have a report designed in PowerBI Deskptop that has a period filter in order the limit YTD comparisons for this year against last year. At the end of each period this filter is updated to reflect the new period and is published, overriding the existing reports. Everything has worked fine as the URL remains the same so links are not broken

I've now looked to build dashboards to reflect this updated data, but when the report is updated the dashboards are not. Why do dashboards on PowerBI have such a fundamental flaw? Is there a workaround?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

When you pin a report to a dashboard it pins it with the filter context being applied.

For example if you pinned it for the first time with the Period Filter for Mar 2019, that is how the dashboard tile will work, always keeping the filter for Mar 2019.

If you then change your report to filter for Apr 2019, the existing Dashboard tile will still hold Mar 2019.

What you can do is to rather not hardcode your filter, but potentially use the Date table and a column which will have on the example above a filter name of "Current Month" This will then allow the dashboard tile to filter based on "Current Month" and NOT on a hardcoded month.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

When you pin a report to a dashboard it pins it with the filter context being applied.

For example if you pinned it for the first time with the Period Filter for Mar 2019, that is how the dashboard tile will work, always keeping the filter for Mar 2019.

If you then change your report to filter for Apr 2019, the existing Dashboard tile will still hold Mar 2019.

What you can do is to rather not hardcode your filter, but potentially use the Date table and a column which will have on the example above a filter name of "Current Month" This will then allow the dashboard tile to filter based on "Current Month" and NOT on a hardcoded month.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors