Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KRANJAN
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Gateway taking too long to refresh

Hi, 

My data source is a postgres server and I query around 15 tables in it and then do a lot of transformations inside the query editor. The Total rows I import from the database is less than 1M. 

Usually, when I do manual/schedule refresh of the pbi report via an on-premise gateway it takes around 10-15 minutes which is quite a lot but not a major problem as of now.

Recently I made some modifications to the report (Queried some new tables from the database) and added around 100-150K rows more along with some more transformations in power query. But now When I do a schedule/manual refresh in via the gateway, it takes more than 2 hrs and it still won't complete. It just says Refresh in progress.

I am at loss as to what operation is causing such a huge amount of time. How do I debug it to find which database query or power query transformation is taking too much time? 

I used DAX Studio to check the memory of the tables and it is 45MB (after making the modification I am guessing it may change up to 60 MB) which I don't think should cause much trouble. I even tried checking the gateway logs but got confused on how to read them as they are many log files.

Is there any way to get the time taken to execute each database query and/or power query transformation (maybe through the logs?) so that I can pinpoint the actual issue and optimise it otherwise I am just shooting arrows in the dark.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KRANJAN ,

To make the performace being better, we can optimize your data by deleting extra steps in power query, optimizing the DAX formula and so on. BTW, please update your gateway to the latest version to refresh your data.

Is there any way to get the time taken to execute each database query and/or power query transformation (maybe through the logs?) so that I can pinpoint the actual issue and optimise it otherwise I am just shooting arrows in the dark.

You can come up a new idea about that and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Does Optimising Dax Formula help in reducing refresh time? I Thought that gateway just handles all the database queries and transformations whereas the DAX performance burden is on the power BI server. In short, I Thought bad DAX measures cause slow responsiveness when a user is using the report but doesn't affect refresh time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors