Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bokangmaela
Frequent Visitor

Configuring on premises data gateway for custom connector

Good day,

I am trying to configure the connection to my custom connector. I have set up my on premises data gateway(personal mode) as shown below. 

Bokangmaela_0-1686562256246.png

I am trying to configure my connection to the data source but I am not sure which connection type to select as I am not using any of the provided data source connection type as shown. 

Bokangmaela_2-1686562465110.png

I am not sure what to do as I am using a Historian as my data source and I am using the custom connector to connect to the datasource. The connector works in power bi desktop but I am unable to refresh it's data due to the connection not being correctly configured.

Please provide advice on what I should do.

Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bokangmaela
Frequent Visitor

I managed to figure out why my connector was working. Basically there are datatypes that are allowed as parameters in power bi desktop that aren't allowed in Power BI service. In my case I was using time and list data types which works fine in Power BI Desktop but not in Power BI Service. My suggestion is if you are using types that aren't support in Power BI Service you just have to make them optional and the connector will work just fine.

Kind Regards,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Bokangmaela
Frequent Visitor

I managed to figure out why my connector was working. Basically there are datatypes that are allowed as parameters in power bi desktop that aren't allowed in Power BI service. In my case I was using time and list data types which works fine in Power BI Desktop but not in Power BI Service. My suggestion is if you are using types that aren't support in Power BI Service you just have to make them optional and the connector will work just fine.

Kind Regards,

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi, if you already have a gateway and you are building this just for connectors, then you can add it as cluster to that one. If not, then it might not be necessary. You can read the following instructions to check every step:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-custom-connectors

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi, Thanks for the response.

I have followed the steps outlined in the link. Here is my on premises gateway 

Bokangmaela_0-1686645412724.png

Here is the gateway configuration on Power BI service 

Bokangmaela_1-1686645518808.png

For this gateway I added username and password option in my custom connector. I cleared all persmissions in power bi desktop and added my username and password. I publised the report to power bi service but now I recieve the follow error.

Bokangmaela_0-1686646323711.png

I am not sure why I am recieving this error. When I try and add a new connection in Power BI service my datasource type still doesn't appear as explained in the link you have sent. Please help where possible maybe I missed something.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors