Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

marco6
Frequent Visitor

Cannot share SharePoint query

Hi all!

I have been developing a report lately. All the data I need comes from a sharepoint list. The list is available online (hosted on <client_name>.sharepoint.com). Offline (PBI Desktop) I can see all the data, I can update everything and I can see all the dashboards.

If I upload on powerbi.com the dashboard (I have a pro license) eveything seems to work as expected. However, if I try to share with another user the report (this users has a pro license, too; moreover, this user is in the same domain of mine) I get this result, no matter what:

pbierr1.png

Clicking on "Visualizza dettagli" ("View details") results in:

pbierr3.png

As a last note, I needed to go to "Settings" and specify "OAuth2" as authentication method (and insert again online my credentials) in order to be able (from my account) to update the dataset (and schedule a daily update as well).

What am I doing wrong? How can I proceed?

Thank you,

Marco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi all! I am writing as I found the source of my problem: if you enable RLS on your dataset, only admin (and not members) users can see all the report. Removing or correctly configuring RLS solves the problem. Still I think this sould be handled differently: if a user doesn't have the permission to access a dataset, the entire report should not be loaded instead of loading it with cryptic errors.

Regards,

Marco

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @marco6,

What did the error message point to? Please translate the detailed error information into English.

Besides, did this error occur no matter whom you share the dashboard with?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft! Thank you for your answer! Please see the new attached screenshot I took by setting the language to english directly in PowerBI! 🙂

Besides, did this error occur no matter whom you share the dashboard with?

Yes. Seems like the owner account is the only account allowed to see the content. (I am only allowed to share the report with the members of the my client's "organization").

Marcopbierr4.jpg

Hi @marco6,

Based on current description, you shared dashborad with external users and organization members, right? Those organization members can view dashboard successfully, while external users see errors, right?

Please check:

• The license those external users owned. If your dashboard contains Pro content, your recipients should also need Pro liscense to view the data. Reference: Share dashboards and reports with colleagues and others
  • Do you have RLS enabled on the data source ? If yes, then it currently is not supported for sharing outside organisation.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Based on current description, you shared dashborad with external users and organization members, right? 

No, just with organizational members. I am not allowed by contract to share with external users.

Those organization members can view dashboard successfully, while external users see errors, right?

No one except the me (the owner) can succesfully open the reports.

All the peoples I shared with have an extended trial of the Pro licence (1-year), included me. I am not using RLS in this moment, but I will need to in a next step, in order to fulfil the requirements of my client, but I will never share the report outside of the organization.

Thank you again for your support,

Marco

Hi @marco6,

Have you tested to share a dashboard whose data source is not SharePoint to those recipients to check whether they can view report successfully? Also, could you please try to share this dashboard with a user having a Pro license (not the Pro trial) to see whether issue persists? 

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Hi @v-yulgu-msft!

Have you tested to share a dashboard whose data source is not SharePoint to those recipients to check whether they can view report successfully?

Yes I did! I have been sharing dashboards using Push API for few month without any problem.

Also, could you please try to share this dashboard with a user having a Pro license (not the Pro trial) to see whether issue persists? 

I don't think I can as neither the client nor I own a Pro license. Also, I don't think a "Pro" trial should limit my business as its scope is to make me understand how valuable is PowerBI to me or my client.

Thank you for your answer,

Marco

Hi @marco6,

Unfortunately, I was unable to find the cause of this problem. Could you create a support ticket to get more help?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Hi @v-yulgu-msft!

In these days, one of my clients decided to buy a premium license, so I will be able to test whether I can share those reports or not, as you suggested. If I won't be able to, I will open a ticket.

Thank you for your support so far,

Marco

Hi @marco6,

Thanks for your understanding. If you get any response from support or find the resolution by yourself, appreciate that you could share it, so that others having similar problem can benefit from here.

Thanks,
Yuliana Gu

Hi all! I am writing as I found the source of my problem: if you enable RLS on your dataset, only admin (and not members) users can see all the report. Removing or correctly configuring RLS solves the problem. Still I think this sould be handled differently: if a user doesn't have the permission to access a dataset, the entire report should not be loaded instead of loading it with cryptic errors.

Regards,

Marco

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors