Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Azure Analysis Services Scheduled Cache Refresh

Hello community,

When deploying a model into Azure Analysis Services and connecting it live to Power BI Desktop, I would like to keep the data within Azure Analysis Services updated on a scheduled basis automatically without having to update it manually or ad-hoc via TMSL or XMLA.

I noticed that when I published the report into Power BI Service, in the dataset options, it shows that there is a "scheduled cache refresh" option. Does this option allow Power BI to refresh the dataset and tables from the Analysis Services model that it's connected to automatically?

If not, then what does this refresh represent, and what are alternatives to create an automatic data refresh schedule for the model to upload net new data into the report? Any feedback and suggestions are appreciated!

AAS_Cache_Refresh.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The Azure Analysis Services is a kind of cloud data source, it needn't to use gateway and it is not possible to configure the schedule refresh interval for the single data source separately. That means the data won't be imported into Power BI Service, and you don't need to run a data refresh, the data refresh synchronizes datasets and reports in Power BI Service with the underlying data in Azure Analysis Services.

However, Power BI still performs tile refreshes and possibly report refreshes, as the next section on refresh types explains. A tile is a report visual pinned to a dashboard, and dashboard tile refreshes happen about every hour so that the tiles show recent results. You can change the schedule in the dataset settings using the option "Schedule cache refresh" , or force a dashboard update manually by using the Refresh Now option.

For reference:

Data refresh in Power BI

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The Azure Analysis Services is a kind of cloud data source, it needn't to use gateway and it is not possible to configure the schedule refresh interval for the single data source separately. That means the data won't be imported into Power BI Service, and you don't need to run a data refresh, the data refresh synchronizes datasets and reports in Power BI Service with the underlying data in Azure Analysis Services.

However, Power BI still performs tile refreshes and possibly report refreshes, as the next section on refresh types explains. A tile is a report visual pinned to a dashboard, and dashboard tile refreshes happen about every hour so that the tiles show recent results. You can change the schedule in the dataset settings using the option "Schedule cache refresh" , or force a dashboard update manually by using the Refresh Now option.

For reference:

Data refresh in Power BI

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous,

this option only refreshes the cache inside the Power BI Service. 

Please have a look at the documentation for more info.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors