Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pragyamishra
Helper II
Helper II

power bi

Hi, I am fairly new to Power BI and my question is this:-

1. Is domain necessary for using Power BI Report Server?

2. I have set up a workgroup, and not a domain. When I am on the local machine of the server, if I use Power BI Desktop to save a report to Power BI Report Saver, I am able to do it. But when I use my laptop to save the report to Power BI Report Server, I am unable to ans instead, just get the error that an error is encountered.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pragyamishra
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks everyone, but eventually I have found the solution. If I add the exact same username and credentials as I use on my laptop on the server as well, I am able to publish the reports to the PBIRS without even joining the domain.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
pragyamishra
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks everyone, but eventually I have found the solution. If I add the exact same username and credentials as I use on my laptop on the server as well, I am able to publish the reports to the PBIRS without even joining the domain.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pragyamishra,

1. If the machine hosts Power BI report server doesn't join a domain, we can't access report server remotely. We need to log on the server to via report server. 

2. You can configure the server and laptop join the same domain or trusted domain, then you can access report server from laptop. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Can the users access it through the web portal still? And publish the reports to this server?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.