Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

trex0911
Regular Visitor

PowerBIReportServer Setup Crashes

I recently download and re-downloaded the PowerBIReportServer executable from https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/report-server/ (Download Free Trial) and it won't install. It crashes each time I try. I get the message "Microsoft Power BI Report Server has stopped working", check online for a solution or close the program. The server on which I am trying to install Power BI Report Server already has SSRS installed but the service has been stopped. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@trex0911 wrote:

The server on which I am trying to install Power BI Report Server already has SSRS installed but the service has been stopped. Any ideas?

I don't believe Microsoft supports having both PBIRS and SSRS installed on the same machine. By default the setup process should write out logs to your %temp% folder, so you could try checking there to see if that gives you more detail. But my suggestion is to uninstall SSRS or install PBIRS on a different machine.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@trex0911 wrote:

The server on which I am trying to install Power BI Report Server already has SSRS installed but the service has been stopped. Any ideas?

I don't believe Microsoft supports having both PBIRS and SSRS installed on the same machine. By default the setup process should write out logs to your %temp% folder, so you could try checking there to see if that gives you more detail. But my suggestion is to uninstall SSRS or install PBIRS on a different machine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.