Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Jon_Hindsgaul
Regular Visitor

Power BI Report Server offline installation

Hi Power BI community,

I need to install an on-premises Power BI Report Server in an environment without an internet connection. 

Is an internet connection required during the licens/key registration, or can the installation be carried out without any internet connection using the installation files?

I have consulted the Microsoft documentation, which unfortunately doesn't mention the subject.

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,

Jon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Jon - My installation of Power BI Report Server is on a server that deliberately has no internet connectivity.  I can confirm that the installation can take place offline and with no external connectivity, providing you have the a valid licence key to enter.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I think as long as you have the software downloaded on the machine locally with the license key, it should work - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/machine-learning/install/sql-ml-component-install-without-inte...

Thank you for the answer. 
Agree, I believe it should work, but I am looking for certainty.
The link provides great details on offline installations for specific extensions to SQL Server 2016, not for Power BI  report server.

Hi Jon - My installation of Power BI Report Server is on a server that deliberately has no internet connectivity.  I can confirm that the installation can take place offline and with no external connectivity, providing you have the a valid licence key to enter.

Thank you  for the answer.

@Jon_Hindsgaul wrote:

Thank you for the answer. 
Agree, I believe it should work, but I am looking for certainty.
The link provides great details on offline installations for specific extensions to SQL Server 2016, not for Power BI  report server.

I know, Report Server is a component of SQL Server, and its installation was seperated a few years ago. So if you NEED to install the software without internet, then go ahead and do it. Let us know how it goes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.