Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Jon_Hindsgaul
Regular Visitor

Power BI Report Server offline installation

Hi Power BI community,

I need to install an on-premises Power BI Report Server in an environment without an internet connection. 

Is an internet connection required during the licens/key registration, or can the installation be carried out without any internet connection using the installation files?

I have consulted the Microsoft documentation, which unfortunately doesn't mention the subject.

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,

Jon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Jon - My installation of Power BI Report Server is on a server that deliberately has no internet connectivity.  I can confirm that the installation can take place offline and with no external connectivity, providing you have the a valid licence key to enter.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I think as long as you have the software downloaded on the machine locally with the license key, it should work - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/machine-learning/install/sql-ml-component-install-without-inte...

Thank you for the answer. 
Agree, I believe it should work, but I am looking for certainty.
The link provides great details on offline installations for specific extensions to SQL Server 2016, not for Power BI  report server.

Hi Jon - My installation of Power BI Report Server is on a server that deliberately has no internet connectivity.  I can confirm that the installation can take place offline and with no external connectivity, providing you have the a valid licence key to enter.

Thank you  for the answer.

@Jon_Hindsgaul wrote:

Thank you for the answer. 
Agree, I believe it should work, but I am looking for certainty.
The link provides great details on offline installations for specific extensions to SQL Server 2016, not for Power BI  report server.

I know, Report Server is a component of SQL Server, and its installation was seperated a few years ago. So if you NEED to install the software without internet, then go ahead and do it. Let us know how it goes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.