cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Configure SAML/SSO authentication for all users on an onPremise Power BI environment

Hello,

We are looking to configure our PBIRS on premise environments to use SSO/SAML for all users accessing reports.

Is there any proper documentation out there or if anyone has already accomplish same.

Thank you

Majid

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User IV
Super User IV

@Anonymous , refer, if this can help https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-sso-kerberos#configure-sap-bw-for-sso-using-commoncryptolib

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
Dashboard of My Blogs !! YouTube Channel !! Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @amitchandak   , appreciate the quick response. Thanks.

The link shared refers more to the SSO between Power BI and on premise data sources.

What I am really looking to implement is to have all PBIRS users authenticated thorough SSO/SAML before they can access reports hosted in PBIRS environments.

I can't find such documentation anywhere.

What exactly are you trying to achieve/prevent ?
For example anyone in our domain can go to the report server URL, but if they are not in the relevant group or individual access, they cannot view the folders or reports. This is managed via the report server itself under Security.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @RobThrive ,

We do have a third party layer which we are using currenty to authenticate users to access Power BI environment reports.

This set of users that are going through this process have not been part of Active directry. However, they are part of it now.

In order to have them authenticated them from the stations they are working from and have them access Power BI directly, we need to have the PBIRS environment configured to use SSO/SAML as user authentication for security and company management purpose.

We are currently managing the rest of the Power BI users as you have mentioned, using AD groups to manager folders permissions.

Do you know if Power BI supports the SSO/SAML as a user authentication? We are also using a different BI tool (Tableau) which supports the SAML/SSO with no issues.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Power BI Dev Camp - June 24th

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!