Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Configure SAML/SSO authentication for all users on an onPremise Power BI environment

Hello,

We are looking to configure our PBIRS on premise environments to use SSO/SAML for all users accessing reports.

Is there any proper documentation out there or if anyone has already accomplish same.

Thank you

Majid

19 REPLIES 19
Marco37
Frequent Visitor

We cannot share the code that is made for us by the Microsoft engineer, but the information he used can be found on the link below.
Reporting-Services/CustomSecuritySample at master · microsoft/Reporting-Services (github.com)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Question: Did you ever find a solution to this question? We are currently needing to accomplish the same goal.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @amitchandak   , appreciate the quick response. Thanks.

The link shared refers more to the SSO between Power BI and on premise data sources.

What I am really looking to implement is to have all PBIRS users authenticated thorough SSO/SAML before they can access reports hosted in PBIRS environments.

I can't find such documentation anywhere.

What exactly are you trying to achieve/prevent ?
For example anyone in our domain can go to the report server URL, but if they are not in the relevant group or individual access, they cannot view the folders or reports. This is managed via the report server itself under Security.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @RobThrive ,

We do have a third party layer which we are using currenty to authenticate users to access Power BI environment reports.

This set of users that are going through this process have not been part of Active directry. However, they are part of it now.

In order to have them authenticated them from the stations they are working from and have them access Power BI directly, we need to have the PBIRS environment configured to use SSO/SAML as user authentication for security and company management purpose.

We are currently managing the rest of the Power BI users as you have mentioned, using AD groups to manager folders permissions.

Do you know if Power BI supports the SSO/SAML as a user authentication? We are also using a different BI tool (Tableau) which supports the SAML/SSO with no issues.

Hi did you have a solution to authenticate users for Power BI Report Server with SSO/SAML?

No not yet, but we are looking into this with a third party at this moment

@MarcoScholtenHi, do you have found a solution/third party tool to authenticate users with SSO/SAML or OIDC? thanks for a short answer. Chris

@Chris79 yes we have a solution. We tested it and it worked in our situation. Our users are now testing. 

May i ask what you did/use / which 3rd party tool ?

It was Developed in c#.  Is there a possibility to PM or mail you it

Hello @MarcoScholten ,

may i ask you again to send me a pn/mail?

Thank you very much

Hello @MarcoScholten

sure - you can mail to deliversoftware@gmail.com.

Thank you!!

Hi my colleque will contact you by email soon

hi, sry for bother you again, any eta for contacting me? we need a solution for this issue asap and this would be very helpful. thanks again!!

Hi my colleque will contact you

Please can you send your solution by 3rd party? wjd.mohd99@gmail 

wjd.mohd99@gmail.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.