Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot upgrade Report Server in developer mode

I have a Report Server (on-premises) in Developer mode. I downloaded today the latest update from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56722

But when trying to apply the update, the "Next" button is disabled. I tried to repair the installation, same issue...

RS_installation1.pngRS InstallationRS Installation

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I can reproduce your issue when I download the "PowerBIReportServer.exe" from the link you provide to upgrade my PBIRS, Version: 1.11.7815.26414 (Build 15.0.1106.169), Released: May 27, 2021. 

This is caused by that the Power BI Report Server May 2021 released on May 27, 2021 is the same version as the one released on Jul 7, 2021. There are no differences. Only Power BI Desktop (optimized for Power BI Report Server) has some changes. 

• Power BI Desktop (optimized for Power BI Report Server)

• Version: 2.93.1681.0 (May 2021), Released: July 6, 2021
      • Contains fix for Google Auth: Google Auth is moved to System Browser (non embedded) to allow users to log into Google Analytics and Google Big Query.
    • Version: 2.93.982.0 (May 2021), Released: May 27, 2021
      • Contains changes required for connection with Power BI Report Server (May 2021).
      • "Models with enhanced metadata" is now the only option for modeling in Power BI Desktop for RS.
      • Bug fixes

Reference: Change log for Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Therefore, there is no issue there.😊

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps,then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I can reproduce your issue when I download the "PowerBIReportServer.exe" from the link you provide to upgrade my PBIRS, Version: 1.11.7815.26414 (Build 15.0.1106.169), Released: May 27, 2021. 

This is caused by that the Power BI Report Server May 2021 released on May 27, 2021 is the same version as the one released on Jul 7, 2021. There are no differences. Only Power BI Desktop (optimized for Power BI Report Server) has some changes. 

• Power BI Desktop (optimized for Power BI Report Server)

• Version: 2.93.1681.0 (May 2021), Released: July 6, 2021
      • Contains fix for Google Auth: Google Auth is moved to System Browser (non embedded) to allow users to log into Google Analytics and Google Big Query.
    • Version: 2.93.982.0 (May 2021), Released: May 27, 2021
      • Contains changes required for connection with Power BI Report Server (May 2021).
      • "Models with enhanced metadata" is now the only option for modeling in Power BI Desktop for RS.
      • Bug fixes

Reference: Change log for Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Therefore, there is no issue there.😊

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps,then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it more quickly.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

What version of PBIRS do you have installed at the moment?

The "upgrade edition" option is only used when you want to upgrade from the developer or evaluation edition to the enterprise edition.

The fact that you can only see the Upgrade Edition/Repair/uninstall options usually means you have run the installer for the version that is already installed. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.