Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arvydas92
Regular Visitor

Strict open xml spreadsheet with Power BI

Hello,

I am unable to open strict open xml spreadsheet file with a Power BI. If the same file is saved as normal xmlx then everything works fine.

Unfortuantelly I cannot change the format or replace the file with a new one. 

Error I am getting below:

arvydas92_0-1600948917726.png

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arvydas92 ,

Sorry for replying late. You should know that .xml file and .xmlx file is not the same format.

A .xml file format should be like this and power bi can identify it by using xml connector

<note>
<to>Tove</to>
<from>Jani</from>
<heading>Reminder</heading>
<body>Don't forget me this weekend!</body>
</note>

xml.png

A .xmlx file is Excel spreadsheet, this .xmlx file type entry was marked as obsolete and no longer supported file format.

If the spreadsheet is like this:

xmlx.png

Power bi will identify it as a .csv file, xml connector could not open this in power bi.

xmlx2.png

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, @v-yingjl 

Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify. It is shown as xlsx format:

arvydas92_0-1601285946705.png

Hi @arvydas92 ,

Since the format is .xlsx file, you can use Excel connector in power bi to open it directly. 

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yingjl  but like I said if I use excel connector I'm getting error as in the first post...

Hi @arvydas92 ,

Based on my test, I could not reproduce it in my environment. When I save a excel file as a Strict open xml spreadsheet file with .xlsx suffix, no matter if I use excel, csv, or xml connector, I can get data normally in power bi, it works fine.

Perhaps you can try to update the latest version of power bi desktop to check it whether it works.

In addition, you can consider sharing a sample file which inculdes the dummy data but have the same data format so that I could tset it better and try better to help you to check the problem.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

Thanks for the help @v-yingjl ! And please link with sampe file:

https://we.tl/t-1aYC90vZQK

Hi @arvydas92 ,

I have tested the sample in my environment with the above connectors, it still works fine. Please cheack the file in the below. Have you checked it in the latest version of power bi desktop?

If the latest verision of power bi still have the same issue, perhaps it could cause by your actual file data format.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

@v-yingjl  still doesn't work for me. Could I send you a teams meeting invitation. Maybe we could have a short call?

Thanks!

Hi @arvydas92 ,

Sorry for that we have no access to accept the teams meeting. If it still not works, perhaps you can create a support ticket here for further discussion. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors