Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pwc_ananta
Helper I
Helper I

Power Query Load is Stuck at Creating connection in model - Loading Data from Oracle DB

Hi, 
I am creating Power BI Report from Oracle Database. When I transform data (filtering the data for better performance), and Apply and Close the Power Query Editor. It takes hours and hours to load the tables. The load stuck at 'Creating connection in model...' . Screenshot attached.

pwc_ananta_0-1635768231830.png
I am using Power BI Version: 2.97.921.0 64-bit (September 2021).

Any fix to this delay? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@pwc_ananta 

A similar issue has been reported internally, ICM: 263271425

And this is the latest updated information from PG:

We have a fix for this internally, which will be released in the November version of Power BI Desktop.

Best regards
Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

same issue I have. 

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi,

just want to add another possible cause for this issue as it has happened to me a couple of times now. If you import data from an excel sheet make sure to delete any empty columns on the right of the table you're loading (just mark the columns and press delete). It seems like PBI is trying to create connections to all the empty columns as well and then it takes forever to refresh.

//Benny

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

This is what I did to solve the issue.

1. Went into the temp files under App data -> Users -> Local & Local low & Roaming profiles, deleted all the file in there. 

2. Uninstalled the entire version of the power BI desktop, Downloaded the current version available. 
3. Opened the PBIX file and then enabled the Data Preview options Downloads and the report's been running faster than expected 🙂

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

My experience is that is has very little to do with the file size. Make sure you apply ALL the tips provided earlier in the thread.

Good luck.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

I am experiencing this issue. I have the data connected to the Web, experiencing this issue since yesterday on the Power BI Desktop. Tried checking the data source settings along with the permissions. The data is not so large, while the file on the Web is just about 20 MB and the Power Still experiencing the same issue. I also have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Power BI Desktop. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi,

I understand your frustrations, really I do, as I will explain below.

My answer has 2 parts:

1. I did not get the issue fixed on the day. I got impatient and stressed, might have missed one or 2 of the suggested actions. Then decided to remove all my big tables from the pbix (it contained all my data sources as I used a shared model). PAINFUL!!! Many of my reports then failed and I had to fix it one by one. What frustrated me the most was that many of the relationships was gone. Yes the tables that I did not touch, also lost their relationships. TIP - make a backup of the pbix so you can refer back when you have to rebuild the relationships.

2. Since then - I have implemented all the suggestions above (refresh off etc) for all new reports and my experience has been positive.

To summarize - Stay calm, if it does not work today, come back tomorrow and try again. I do believe that the suggestions proposed all have a positive impact. So implement asap, hopefully it will also resolve your issue.

Hope this helps.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Still have similar challenge , 

My version is : Version: 2.109.782.0 64-bit (September 2022)

How can it be fixed ? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have this problem, what is the fix...

I am using version 2.107.683.0 and data connection i have is Dataverse CRM dynamics tables

redbenab

I accidentally stumbled across a fix for my problem. My Power Query was a Web.contents() Get api request and it simply could not get past the Enable Load into model and I was getting the same in progress timer indefinitely.

It turns out, the API response was returning a nested json which is equivalent to table of tables and I think each table, however small, is loaded by a thread. 

Fix for me was to navigate under home file menu Option & Settings -> Global Options and set the Maximum Number of Simultaneous Evaluations to more than 1 (which it was by default)

VirtualBox_Windows 10_15_07_2022_23_57_29.png

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

I am also experimenting this problem and it prevents me from saving my document. Is there a workaround to save my file without this refreshing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Feb 2022, still experiencing this bug

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@pwc_ananta 

A similar issue has been reported internally, ICM: 263271425

And this is the latest updated information from PG:

We have a fix for this internally, which will be released in the November version of Power BI Desktop.

Best regards
Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I still have the same issue and I am using the December 2021 version. So unfortunately Microsoft have not fixed this bug

Hello,

On the latest May'22 release and still having the issue.

Regards

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Please make sure you get the version released on 10/29 (the current one in the Store).  They fixed this bug.

Pat

Hi @Admin - I have the same error and I am using that version. Its like two hours or more everytime i update some  pretty simple queries just forever at creating connections in model

I have the same issue and still no solution for this problem....

Experiencing the same problem.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@pwc_ananta What are the sources?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors