Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

pulpfiction
Frequent Visitor

Blank Values after a Left Join

Hello! 

I am having an issue connected with blank values. I have 2 tables that I merge using a left join. One contains data about Sales Orders  and the other one contains Billing information. I merge them using a composite key that is based on two text fields that I trim before the merge. I join the Sales Orders table to the Billing table and expand the columns that I need from the Sales Orders table. Until a week ago everything worked perfectly. However, now I have blank values in some columns after the expansion. It seems to me that Power BI doesn't recognize the data type of the columns. This is the output after the merge: 

2023-05-16_00h03_00.png

Some fields are recognized and populated (Bill to Number), whereas some are like the sls_doc_typ and the sls_doc_item_cat. Both are text fields and are shown correctly in the original Sales Orders table. I tried changing the type to text before the merge and also after the merge, but nothing helped. 

Any ideas are welcome! 

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
ND_Pard
Helper II
Helper II

It is not enough to simply change the "type" of a field to "text".  For example, if a number is entered and then later formated to "text", it is still a number, it just "looks" like text in that it most likely aligns to the left instead of to the right.  You need to verify that values are truly numeric and/or text.

To assure a value that looks like a number is a number, I use the Excel function: =Value(
To assure a value that looks like a number is text, I use the Excel funcion: =Text(

I copy the function down the length of the data and then convert the formulas to values; i.e., I copy and paste them as values.

Good Luck ... I hope that helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors