Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

pelowski
Helper III
Helper III

More Efficient Steps to Achieve Comma Delimited List of IDs

I feel like there are probably functions I should be using to make the following steps more efficient.

All I need to do is take data in a table, sort a given value numerically (which makes it easier to debug/review when necessary) and then return a sorted, comma-separated text value that I can then pass along to a SQL query "IN" statement.  Since I do this fairly often I'd like to trim off as many steps as I can if possible.

let
	Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Customers"]}[Content],
	#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Customer Name", type text}, {"Customer ID", Int64.Type}}),

// Does it make sense to sort it as a table numeric value then change it to type before doing a Table.ToList?
	// Table.ToList fails on a numeric data type
	#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.Sort(Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Customer ID"}), {"Customer ID", Order.Ascending}),
	#"Transform Type to Text and Make List" = Table.ToList(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Other Columns",{{"Customer ID", type text}})),

// Are there better ways to add the comma delimiter without having to trim it at the end?
	#"List of IDs with Trailing comma" = Lines.ToText(#"Transform Type to Text and Make List", ","),
	#"Comma Separated String of Customer Ids" = Text.Start(#"List of IDs with Trailing comma", Text.Length(#"List of IDs with Trailing comma") - 1)
in
	#"Comma Separated String of Customer Ids"

Any help you can provide to make this more streamlined would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
artemus
Employee
Employee

Something like:

MyColumn = Source[Customer Name],
Sorted = List.Sort(MyColumn),
AsText = List.Transform(Sorted, Text.From),
CommaSeperated = Text.Join(AsText, ",")

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
artemus
Employee
Employee

Something like:

MyColumn = Source[Customer Name],
Sorted = List.Sort(MyColumn),
AsText = List.Transform(Sorted, Text.From),
CommaSeperated = Text.Join(AsText, ",")

Yep, absolutely!  That's way better, thank you!  😁

(One small edit for anyone reading this, the final function should be Text.Combine.)

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors