Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pelowski
Helper III
Helper III

More Efficient Steps to Achieve Comma Delimited List of IDs

I feel like there are probably functions I should be using to make the following steps more efficient.

All I need to do is take data in a table, sort a given value numerically (which makes it easier to debug/review when necessary) and then return a sorted, comma-separated text value that I can then pass along to a SQL query "IN" statement.  Since I do this fairly often I'd like to trim off as many steps as I can if possible.

let
	Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Customers"]}[Content],
	#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Customer Name", type text}, {"Customer ID", Int64.Type}}),

// Does it make sense to sort it as a table numeric value then change it to type before doing a Table.ToList?
	// Table.ToList fails on a numeric data type
	#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.Sort(Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Customer ID"}), {"Customer ID", Order.Ascending}),
	#"Transform Type to Text and Make List" = Table.ToList(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Other Columns",{{"Customer ID", type text}})),

// Are there better ways to add the comma delimiter without having to trim it at the end?
	#"List of IDs with Trailing comma" = Lines.ToText(#"Transform Type to Text and Make List", ","),
	#"Comma Separated String of Customer Ids" = Text.Start(#"List of IDs with Trailing comma", Text.Length(#"List of IDs with Trailing comma") - 1)
in
	#"Comma Separated String of Customer Ids"

Any help you can provide to make this more streamlined would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
artemus
Employee
Employee

Something like:

MyColumn = Source[Customer Name],
Sorted = List.Sort(MyColumn),
AsText = List.Transform(Sorted, Text.From),
CommaSeperated = Text.Join(AsText, ",")

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
artemus
Employee
Employee

Something like:

MyColumn = Source[Customer Name],
Sorted = List.Sort(MyColumn),
AsText = List.Transform(Sorted, Text.From),
CommaSeperated = Text.Join(AsText, ",")

Yep, absolutely!  That's way better, thank you!  😁

(One small edit for anyone reading this, the final function should be Text.Combine.)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors