Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Vlasz
Advocate I
Advocate I

Is there a way to import a Power BI Desktop Data model to Common Data service?

Hi All,

I've been using Power BI going on 4 years now. I have a large data model that includes basically all relevant datapoints for an entire line of business at my company. This particular .pbix file and its model is used to source several other reports for this line of business, which works great. One source of data, reusabilty, confidence in its accuracy, etc etc etc.

After doing a bit of reading on the benefits of the Common Data Service / Dataverse, I realize many of the benefits provided are the same benefits we are enjoying by using this large .pbix's model as a Shared Model for several other reports.

Which brings me to my question - Is there an easy way to de-couple this existing .pbix file and its model? That is, I would like to promote this model to be a CDS/Dataverse model, and then begin sourcing the .pbix from the CDS instead of having everything embedded.

Thanks for reading & Happy Reporting!

1 REPLY 1
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Vlasz 

Here are some ways to load data into CDS:

• Power Apps app. You can build an app using Power Apps that store the data into entities of CDS.
  • Power Apps portal using Get Data and Power Query experience.
  • Dataflow: In Power Apps portal, you can create a dataflow and schedule it to load data into CDS.
  • Other services

For further information, please refer to the document 

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors