Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

k1s1
Helper I
Helper I

Pivot columns vs group

Hello

I'm struggling with pivoting and grouping amd woudl greatly appreciate some help

I have a few hundred rows of data like this:

5 Ideas a "Score before" from 1-7 and an Uplift also between 1-7.  

Idea

Score before

Uplift

idea4

idea4

idea5

idea1

idea2

idea5

idea5

idea4

idea2

If pivot and re-order columns, like this

#"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns2", each ([Idea] = "idea5")),
    #"Pivoted Column1" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Filtered Rows1", {{"Uplift", type text}}, "en-GB"), List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Filtered Rows1", {{"Uplift", type text}}, "en-GB")[Uplift]), "Uplift", "Idea", List.Count),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Pivoted Column1",{"Score before", "1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7"}),

I get something like this:

Score before1234567

But what I'd really like is to get the pivot arranged like this:

IdeaScore before1234567
idea511010000
idea520000001
idea531110100
idea5402210960
idea5500171085
idea561016132421
idea570012102450
idea41

idea420100201
idea430001211
idea4401114844
idea45000312109
idea460003153015
idea47000651745

i.e. in the Table above - for a given Idea, idea5, if the score before was 4, the number of times it was rated 5 in he Uplift was 9

Is some kind of Grouping the answer instead of using the pivot function? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @k1s1 

not able to follow you. Could you please a few lines of your dataset and what the expected result is of that. What I understood is that this "9" is a count of rows where idea5 with rating 4 and uplift 9. I'm wrong? If not try this... add a count-column with each 1. Then pivot the Uplift-column and summing the count-column. Here the code

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WykxJTTRR0lECYXOlWB1CIkYoIsZkiRgBsSGGCKYaY6XYWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Idea = _t, #"Score before" = _t, Uplift = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Idea", type text}, {"Score before", Int64.Type}, {"Uplift", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Count", each 1, type number),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom", {{"Uplift", type text}}, "de-DE"), List.Sort(List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom", {{"Uplift", type text}}, "de-DE")[Uplift]), Order.Ascending), "Uplift", "Count", List.Sum)
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

transforms this

Jimmy801_0-1616168371510.png

into this

Jimmy801_1-1616168387792.png
If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @k1s1 

not able to follow you. Could you please a few lines of your dataset and what the expected result is of that. What I understood is that this "9" is a count of rows where idea5 with rating 4 and uplift 9. I'm wrong? If not try this... add a count-column with each 1. Then pivot the Uplift-column and summing the count-column. Here the code

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WykxJTTRR0lECYXOlWB1CIkYoIsZkiRgBsSGGCKYaY6XYWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Idea = _t, #"Score before" = _t, Uplift = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Idea", type text}, {"Score before", Int64.Type}, {"Uplift", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Count", each 1, type number),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom", {{"Uplift", type text}}, "de-DE"), List.Sort(List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom", {{"Uplift", type text}}, "de-DE")[Uplift]), Order.Ascending), "Uplift", "Count", List.Sum)
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

transforms this

Jimmy801_0-1616168371510.png

into this

Jimmy801_1-1616168387792.png
If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

Your solution  is working perfectly, thank you.

I don't understand it though.

#"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(
        Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom", {{"Uplift", type text}}), 

List.Sort(
                    List.Distinct(
                                    Table.TransformColumnTypes(
                                                                #"Added Custom", {{"Uplift", type text}}
                                                                )[Uplift]
                                ), Order.Ascending
                ),
         "Uplift", "Count", List.Sum
                                )

Would you mind explaining the code above?  I can't work out what it's doing

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @k1s1 

this is basically the code by the GUI and as the pivoted column  has to be text, the GUI is transforming it twice

Here the link to the description of the function so you can check out every parameter of it

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/table-pivot 

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Thanks - it's the strategy to use a Count column that I'm struggling to get my head round 

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @k1s1 

you can also not add a count-column and just count the row of pivoted rows. Here the code

let
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Uplift", type text}}, "de-DE"), List.Sort(List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Uplift", type text}}, "de-DE")[Uplift]), Order.Ascending), "Uplift", "Uplift", List.Count)
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Thanks,

When I tried that with some rows where the idea wasn't just idea4, I didn't get the expected results (ie 1 row per idea): 

let
    #"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({Source, Table}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Appended Query",{{"Idea", type text}, {"Score before", Int64.Type}, {"Uplift", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Uplift", type text}}, "de-DE"), List.Sort(List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Uplift", type text}}, "de-DE")[Uplift]), Order.Ascending), "Uplift", "Uplift", List.Count)
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

It ended up like this instead:

k1s1_0-1616420143221.png

I obviously have a conceptual misunderstanding of how this works.

Looking at the link you kindly directed me to, I can see the example says:

Syntax
Table.Pivot(table as table, pivotValues as list, attributeColumn as text, valueColumn as text, optional aggregationFunction as nullable function) as table

Table.Pivot(
    Table.FromRecords({
        [key = "x", attribute = "a", value = 1],
        [key = "x", attribute = "c", value = 3],
        [key = "y", attribute = "a", value = 2],
        [key = "y", attribute = "b", value = 4]
    }),
    {"a", "b", "c"},
    "attribute",
    "value"
)

...but I'm struggling to relate that to my data.

I think my "key"s are idea1...idea5, and "attribute"s are the scores: 1-7.  Is that right?

...but I don't see anything in this line:

#"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Uplift", type text}}), List.Sort(List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Uplift", type text}}, )[Uplift]), Order.Ascending), "Uplift", "Uplift", List.Count)

...which resembles the key, attribute, value statements in the example, unless the its where you have sepcified the "Uplift" column.  Is that in fact the 'key"?  But then the next argument in your code is also referencing the the "Uplift" column.

I'm confused because I'm new to Power Query and having difficulty relating what happens using the GUI & the resulting M code generated  

Does that mean in my case I should for each structure it with

Table.Pivot( Table.FromRecords({

[key = "idea1", attribute = "1", value = 1],

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @k1s1 

you are going in the wrong direction. The examples of the documentation is just to create a table with the function Table.FromRecords. In you scenario this parameter is filled with your real table.

In the 3rd and 4th parameter i refer both to Uplift-column (Attribute and value), because in your scenario we don't have any column we can sum etc. Therefore the 5th parameter is to count the rows and not sum them.

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Anonymous
Not applicable

"i.e. in the Table above - for a given Idea, idea5, if the score before was 4, the number of times it was rated 5 in he Uplift was 9"

but can the 9 be obtained from the example data you provided above or does it derive from the complete table? 

In this latter case you should load the table in such a way that it can be copied and explained in more detail (perhaps with some more examples)  the logic to be applied)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors