Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ngunwhy1

I am getting a can't find column error for a column I didn't know existed?

Hi,

I am getting an error that says can't find column and tells me the table and the name of the column but I have never used this column and didn't even know it existed. I don't know where this column has come from and I have checked the sources of all of all my tables in Power Query and it is not there. Is there any way I can see this column that it is struggling to find? Or another way around this issue.

I have checked the source for the table it is telling me however the column is not there either,

Thanks,

Neve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

No matter. In whichever step is causing the error, add the last parameter: MissingField.Ignore.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @ngunwhy1 ,

You could use below M code to check whether the column exists in your table:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Table.HasColumns(Source,"Column1"))

And you will see:

vkellymsft_0-1629099082377.png

You could also use below M code to get all the column names in the table:

#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom.1", each Table.ColumnNames(Source)),
 #"Extracted Values" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Custom1", {"Custom.1", each Text.Combine(List.Transform(_, Text.From), ","), type text})
in
    #"Extracted Values"

And you will see:

vkellymsft_1-1629099171205.png

I made a simple sample for reference,pls see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my reply as a solution!

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

No matter. In whichever step is causing the error, add the last parameter: MissingField.Ignore.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors