Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

isa2003
Frequent Visitor

Extracting multiple date formats from text column in Power query

Hello:

I have a text column within which the date can be found. However, the format of the date varies from yyyy-MM-dd, yyyy/MM/d, dd/MM/yyyy, MM-yyyy, yyyy etc. How can only the date be extracted from the column into a new column?  I am interested only in the year.  e.g. 
Liz Coleman Online 12/12/2017 Notebooks Pencils
Candy Shanner-Mail 09/2009- Folders

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ronrsnfld
Super User
Super User

You split the date string by various delimiters, and select the one with four digits: (if you have additional delimiters, edit the Text.SplitAny function accordingly.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMtE1MNU1MFKK1YFw9Q1M9SE8AyMwGygG4ZrqwtkQRiwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t]),

//Type "Date" as text
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type text}}),

//year will be the segment with four digits
    #"Add Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type","Year",(r)=>
        List.Select(Text.SplitAny(r[Date],"-/"), each Text.Length(_)=4){0}, Int64.Type)
in
    #"Add Year"

ronrsnfld_0-1715730996072.png

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ronrsnfld
Super User
Super User

You split the date string by various delimiters, and select the one with four digits: (if you have additional delimiters, edit the Text.SplitAny function accordingly.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMtE1MNU1MFKK1YFw9Q1M9SE8AyMwGygG4ZrqwtkQRiwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t]),

//Type "Date" as text
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type text}}),

//year will be the segment with four digits
    #"Add Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type","Year",(r)=>
        List.Select(Text.SplitAny(r[Date],"-/"), each Text.Length(_)=4){0}, Int64.Type)
in
    #"Add Year"

ronrsnfld_0-1715730996072.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors