Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error with Nested IF and Calculate/Filter Condition

Hi 

I am trying to calculate a column called Differential based on different IF condition . However , when I am using nested IF statements I am getting this error. I tried using Switch statement too but that didnt work because Switch doesnt work with calculated columns ?

Query 

NGFinal = SUMMARIZE('NGPricesOneLine','NGPricesOneLine'[Source Name],'NGPricesOneLine'[Month],'NGPricesOneLine'[PriorSettle],"Differential",If(
        'NGPricesOneLine'[Source Name] = "ABC",
                SUM('NGPricesOneLine'[PriorSettle]),
If(     'NGPricesOneLine'[Source Name]IN {"C","D","E","F"},
                CALCULATE(SUM(NGPricesOneLine[PriorSettle]), CALCULATE(SUM('NGPricesOneLine'[PriorSettle])) -FILTER(ALLSELECTED(NGPricesOneLine), NGPricesOneLine[Month] =MIN('NGPricesOneLine'[Month]) && 'NGPricesOneLine'[Source Name]="ABC")),
If(     'NGPricesOneLine'[Source Name]IN {"G","H","I"},
                CALCULATE(SUM('NGPricesOneLine'[PriorSettle]), CALCULATE(SUM(NGPricesOneLine[PriorSettle]), FILTER(ALLSELECTED(NGPricesOneLine), NGPricesOneLine[Month] =MIN(NGPricesOneLine[Month]) && 'NGPricesOneLine'[Source Name]="ABC")) -CALCULATE(SUM('NGPricesOneLine'[PriorSettle]))

))
)))

Error : A function 'CALCULATE' has been used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression. This is not allowed.

The same query works if I am using only One IF statement . 

Would appreciate if someone could guide , what am I doing wrong

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re-wrote the query and it worked. Thanks all for your inputs 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I found a negative sign before FILTER(). I think it may be a comma. 

-FILTER(ALLSELECTED(NGPricesOneLine)

-->

,FILTER(ALLSELECTED(NGPricesOneLine)

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

Thanks for your response. "-" sign is for subtraction. I have to subtract corresponding values for different sources from ABC or ice versa. Have explained the issue above with sample source data .

Thanks for your help

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Here's some general guidance: Look at your query on http://www.daxformatter.com/

That helps you visualize the logic, and also helps you identify repetitive calculations that are better done once, using variables.

Also note that "ABC" is not the same as {"A","B","C"} but I guess you knew that already.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply lbendlin I ran my query through DAX formatter and it looks okay. Couldnt find any flaws . 

I didnt copy my source data for you all to understand and suggest changes . Mentioned below is my source data 

Differential is a calculated column 

DifferentialSource NameMonth PriorSettle
1ABCJul-201
2ABCAug-202
3ABCSep-203
4-2=2CAug-204
1-3=-2CSep-201
2-0=2COct-202
2-1=1DJul-202
5-2=3DAug-205
1-4=-3GJul-204
2-2=0GAug-202

I have to calculate this column on the basis of where Source is "ABC" and a matching month , if Source is C,D, .. , I should subtract the value of "ABC" from C,D.. if its G, H.. I have to subtract the values from "ABC". IF its ABC , the priorsettle should stay as is. PLease note all of this needs to be matched on a month.

I am pretty new to POwerBI hence please feel free to suggest if my entire apprach to calculate these values is not correct 

Thanks for your help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re-wrote the query and it worked. Thanks all for your inputs 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors