Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Populate Column if ID matches, then poulate all other rows with same ID

Hi,

Trying to find a clever way to populate a column that contain many blanks. Each ID are connected to many accounts, but my column (new merged column) only has values for a few different accounts. I would like to populate all other rows with that ID with the same value as the row that is not blank in my new merged column.

Below is an example how how I imagine this column to be

entry_nodoc_numaccount(new merged column)New column
1113040 url - 3
2153023 urld -5
3153040 urld -5
4161234url - 1url - 1
5193040 url - 4
6201234url - 2url - 2
7111234url - 3url - 3
8151234urld -5urld -5
9163040 url - 1
10191234url - 4url - 4
11203040 url - 2

Any good suggestions on how to make this happen?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Smauro
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @Anonymous,

From what I understand, you'd like to fill the empties with the unique value of [doc_num]->[(new merge column)] if there is any.
I've renamed (new merge column) to mrg.

This should work:

NewTable = Table.SelectRows(Table.Group(Table.SelectRows(Table.SelectColumns(PreviousStep, {"doc_num", "mrg"}), each [mrg] <> null and Text.Trim([mrg]) <> ""), {"doc_num"}, {{"mrg", each [mrg]{0}, type text}, {"c", each List.Count(List.Distinct([mrg])), Int64.Type}}), each [c]=1),
    MergeBack = Table.TransformColumns(Table.NestedJoin(PreviousStep, {"doc_num"}, NewTable, {"doc_num"}, "new mrg", JoinKind.LeftOuter), {"new mrg", (curr) => curr[mrg]{0}}),
    AddResult = Table.AddColumn(MergeBack, "Result", each if [mrg] <> null and Text.Trim([mrg]) <> "" then [mrg] else [new mrg], type text)
in
    AddResult

PreviousStep is your previous step.

NewTable is taking columns [doc_num] & [mrg], keeping non empty, grouping to see if they are unique and keeping the unique values only.

MergeBack merges the NewTable back to our current table, taking the unique [mrg] value based on [doc_num].

AddResult sees if there was already a value and keeps this one (this is done in case [doc_num]<->[mrg] wasn't unique) and if not it gets the value from our [new mrg] column.

Cheers

smauro

Feel free to connect with me:
LinkedIn

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi there, i don't quite understand the specific column to replace with. That's why the suggested formula will have a different name. Pay attention:

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Last Step","", each _[ColumnName],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"(new merged column)"})

The second argument after "Last Step" is the value to replace. Check if you have null, "space" or just "" (there is no code to talk about blanks in power query). The _[ColumnName] is the column that will be taken to complete (new merged column) blank values.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors