Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Ander101
Regular Visitor

Diagonal matrix to table - How to transform a table with a diagonal with data to a proper table

Sorry for the strange title. I have a dataset formed by answers of people in a fom, and it looks like this:

Original datasetOriginal dataset

So, I want to merge all those rows with the same week number and delete those empty cells so that it looks like this:

Goal datasetGoal dataset

Is there any way to do this? Please take into accound that every week we have more data added.

What I tried by now:

By now I have already tried to transpose the matrix, merge the columns and then transpose again, but then I have the week numbers added together and I don't think that the query can know that I wan to merge groups of 5 columns afterwards.

I also tried to create new tables using SELECTCOLUMNS, but then I wont be able to append the tables because tables created from DAX formulas do not appear in Power Query.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Ander101 

you can use some Table.Group and apply a function there that does the work.Consider that this code would combine the cell content if it would find 2 cells for one person in a week.

Text.Combine(List.Transform(_, each Text.From(_)),",")

in case you could adapt the above code. Here a practicable example. 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMrFQ0lEyBGIQitWBCgCREboAEBlDBCyBTBNkLZYQjim6ABCZKcXGAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [week = _t, Tom = _t, Jelena = _t, Maria = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"week", Int64.Type}, {"Tom", Int64.Type}, {"Jelena", Int64.Type}, {"Maria", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"week"}, {{"AllRows", each Table.FromColumns(List.Transform(Table.ToColumns(Table.RemoveColumns(_, {"week"})), each {Text.Combine(List.Transform(_, each Text.From(_)),",")}), Table.ColumnNames(Table.RemoveColumns(_, {"week"}))  )}}),
    #"Expanded AllRows" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "AllRows", Table.ColumnNames(Table.Combine(#"Grouped Rows"[AllRows])))
in
    #"Expanded AllRows"

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Ander101 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

f1.png

You may add a new step as below.

= Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Week"}, {{"Tom", each List.Sum([Tom]), type nullable number}, {"Alice", each List.Sum([Alice]), type nullable number}, {"John", each List.Sum([John]), type nullable number}, {"Judd", each List.Sum([Judd]), type nullable number}, {"Thomas", each List.Sum([Thomas]), type nullable number}})

Result:

f2.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Ander101
Regular Visitor

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the help. I haven't used the mentioned code. I could solve the issue using the SUMMARIZE command in a new table and then adding the numbers, which was way more intuitive to me.

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Ander101 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

f1.png

You may add a new step as below.

= Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Week"}, {{"Tom", each List.Sum([Tom]), type nullable number}, {"Alice", each List.Sum([Alice]), type nullable number}, {"John", each List.Sum([John]), type nullable number}, {"Judd", each List.Sum([Judd]), type nullable number}, {"Thomas", each List.Sum([Thomas]), type nullable number}})

Result:

f2.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Ander101 

you can use some Table.Group and apply a function there that does the work.Consider that this code would combine the cell content if it would find 2 cells for one person in a week.

Text.Combine(List.Transform(_, each Text.From(_)),",")

in case you could adapt the above code. Here a practicable example. 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMrFQ0lEyBGIQitWBCgCREboAEBlDBCyBTBNkLZYQjim6ABCZKcXGAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [week = _t, Tom = _t, Jelena = _t, Maria = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"week", Int64.Type}, {"Tom", Int64.Type}, {"Jelena", Int64.Type}, {"Maria", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"week"}, {{"AllRows", each Table.FromColumns(List.Transform(Table.ToColumns(Table.RemoveColumns(_, {"week"})), each {Text.Combine(List.Transform(_, each Text.From(_)),",")}), Table.ColumnNames(Table.RemoveColumns(_, {"week"}))  )}}),
    #"Expanded AllRows" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "AllRows", Table.ColumnNames(Table.Combine(#"Grouped Rows"[AllRows])))
in
    #"Expanded AllRows"

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

AlB
Super User
Super User

@Ander101 

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps. #"Grouped Rows" is the crucial one

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMrFQ0lHKK83JwU7F6kCVGBGQhwoaE5CHUoYE5OHKwPKWhJ1oicVudHl0u3HIQykjAvJwD4PkTQ0IOhGsBI8TkY1AD2wcVoCUEbAe6jx0P2Mx3hB/JCMbgS0EsVhhTEAe7ovYWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Week = _t, Alice = _t, John = _t, Judd = _t, Thomas = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Alice", Int64.Type}, {"John", Int64.Type}, {"Judd", Int64.Type}, {"Thomas", Int64.Type}, {"Week", Int64.Type}}),
    colNames_ = Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type"), 
    tableType_ = Value.Type(#"Changed Type"),    
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Week"}, {{"Res", each Table.FromColumns(List.Transform(Table.ToColumns(_), each {List.Max(_)}), colNames_) }}),
    #"Expanded Res" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Res", {"Alice", "John", "Judd", "Thomas"}, {"Alice", "John", "Judd", "Thomas"}),
    final_ = Value.ReplaceType(#"Expanded Res", tableType_)
in
    final_

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

AlB
Super User
Super User

@Ander101 

What is this? How do I get that into a table?

I was talking of something like:

Tom  Alice
48 1

23 2

which is what you get by simply pasting a table (copied from excel or PBI) here. Otherwise share the table in an .xlsx or. pbix You have to share the URL to the file hosted elsewhere: Dropbox, Onedrive... or just upload the file to a site like tinyupload.com (no sign-up required).

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

@AlB I tried to paste the table but it said it was not compatible with HTML so I tried to convert it to HTML.

Anyway, here is a link to the excel file with the table. LINK

AlB
Super User
Super User

H @Ander101 

Can you show the tables (particularly the initial one) in text-tabular format so that the contents can be copied? Rather than on a screen cap

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

@AlB There you go. It took a little bit more time but it is ready:

[table]
[tr]
[th]Week[/th]
[th]Tom[/th]
[th]Alice[/th]
[th]John[/th]
[th]Judd[/th]
[th]Thomas[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]48[/td]
[td]1[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]48[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]2[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]48[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]48[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]1[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]48[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]1[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]49[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]49[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]49[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]1[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]49[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]2[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]49[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]50[/td]
[td]1[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]50[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]50[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]2[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]50[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]2[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]50[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]2[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]51[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]51[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]2[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]51[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]1[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]51[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]51[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]null[/td]
[td]2[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Ander101 - Seems like in Power Query you could select your columns in turn and filter out the blanks?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler Can you develop a little bit more? If I filter out the blanks, I end up deleting data from other columns. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors