Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rylach
Helper II
Helper II

Enterprise Power BI Gateway greyed out

Hi.

I have:

Power BI on-premises installed, datasource (mssql database) configured

Power BI Gateway visible in Power BI's 'Manage gateways' with configured datasource, connection test successful

Power BI Pro license on my PBI user, user added as Administrator for that gateway

I've created a report using Power BI Desktop with some data imported from the same mssqldatabase, which has been used as datasource in PBI GW, then published the report to Power BI web, using the gateway's admin account. I can see a new dataset (coming from the published report) named after pbix filename (without extension).  When I try to setup a refresh schedule for the dataset, I cannot swich to the On-premises gateway - the 'Use a data gateway' radio button (under 'Gateway connection') is greyed out.

What am I doing wrong? Or, what steps did I skip ?

TIA

R.

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mohandas Gandhi.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rylach,

Please make sure that the data source information you add under the gateway matches exactly what you configure in Power BI Desktop, in other words, the server name and database name should completely match between Power BI Desktop and the data source within the on-premises data gateway.

If the issue still persists, please help to post a screenshot of your data sources in Power BI Desktop and post a screenshot of data sources under gateway. You can go to File -> Options and settings ->Data source settings to check data sources for Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
camvt2014
Frequent Visitor

In case someone else finds this thread and the soution provided still doesn't fix the issue, I figured I'd callout that your configured source/creds in the gateway needs to be able to actually query the sources you've configured in your power bi desktop file. Otherwise, it'll stay greyed out despite the server name/db name being the same. We have a service account that runs the queries from the gateway but do development with our own accounts and the permissions were different across those accounts creating the confusion. 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rylach,

Please make sure that the data source information you add under the gateway matches exactly what you configure in Power BI Desktop, in other words, the server name and database name should completely match between Power BI Desktop and the data source within the on-premises data gateway.

If the issue still persists, please help to post a screenshot of your data sources in Power BI Desktop and post a screenshot of data sources under gateway. You can go to File -> Options and settings ->Data source settings to check data sources for Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,
I have the same problem and am hoping you can help. I have two reports with the saem data sources, but still the gateway connection is greyed out for the one I just published today. I just had to add a few calculated columns, and now I cannot get the scheduled refresh to work!

Just to clarify
Example 1 - What worked:
I made a report in PBI desktop with a connection to 2 different data bases on our SQL server.
I published the report.
Added these databases as data sources in the gateway setting in PBI online
Scheduled a refresh and it is running smoothly.

Example 2 - What isn't working:
I took the report in PBI desktop from example 1 and added some calculated columns
I published the report in another workspace in PBI online
When I try to schedule a refresh the option is greyed out.

Do you have any idea what could be the problem?

Hi Lydia,

I have the same problem and am hoping you can help. I have two reports with the saem data sources, but still the gateway connection is greyed out for the one I just published today. I just had to add a few calculated columns, and now I cannot get the scheduled refresh to work!

Just to clarify

Example 1 - What worked:

I made a report in PBI desktop with a connection to 2 different data bases on our SQL server.

I published the report.

Added these databases as data sources in the gateway setting in  PBI online

Scheduled a refresh and it is running smoothly.

Example 2 - What isn't working:

I took the report in PBI desktop from example 1 and added some calculated columns

I published the report in another workspace in PBI online

When I try to schedule a refresh the option is greyed out.

Do you have any idea what could be the problem?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors