Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nilsstigel
Frequent Visitor

Power BI user activity log (applied filters)

We have a necessity to track useractivities across apps, reports and and report pages and the specific filters applied to send/retrieve quesries/results.

A scenario that i think explains the requirement is:

"A company is selling burgers to customers. The employee of the month is the employee that had the most sales. Employee A  opens a Power BI App that shows the sales completed by all employees. In the report there exists a filter with employee names - Employee A selects the employee filter and checks his/her own name to see number of completed sales for the selected period.

Employee A is courios to see how many sales his/her co-worker Employee B has completed for the period. Hence Employee A deselect him/herself and selects Employee B."

Problem: The manager would like to know following

- Have employee A used the Employee filter to check his/her own sales for the period?

- Have employee A used the Employee filter to check other employees sales for the period?

In short: the manager wants to track user activities on different granular levels - report opens, filter applied, etc.

Maybe i could use Power BI REST API and retrieve audit logs? Maybe Microsoft Purview could be a solution? 

I really hope that some of you can and want to help me solving this problem!

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The advanced audit logging that they once promised has not materialized yet.  All we have so far is this : Track user activities in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn .  Note: does not include page or visual level tracking.

This one is also worth reading : Track user activities in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your answer.

Is there any other way to track the informartion? I mean if the normal activity and audit logging isn't advanced enough atm, then maybe bringing your own can solve the problem? see Power BI security white paper - Power BI | Microsoft Learn 

The requirements you describe are more applicable to forensics events. If you suspect data leakage/exposure (for example through faulty RLS) you can request a special ticket with Microsoft, allow them to decrypt your detail logs and conduct the forensics.  But that is limited to specific situations, takes a long time and is not scalable.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.