Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Nilsstigel
Frequent Visitor

Power BI user activity log (applied filters)

We have a necessity to track useractivities across apps, reports and and report pages and the specific filters applied to send/retrieve quesries/results.

A scenario that i think explains the requirement is:

"A company is selling burgers to customers. The employee of the month is the employee that had the most sales. Employee A  opens a Power BI App that shows the sales completed by all employees. In the report there exists a filter with employee names - Employee A selects the employee filter and checks his/her own name to see number of completed sales for the selected period.

Employee A is courios to see how many sales his/her co-worker Employee B has completed for the period. Hence Employee A deselect him/herself and selects Employee B."

Problem: The manager would like to know following

- Have employee A used the Employee filter to check his/her own sales for the period?

- Have employee A used the Employee filter to check other employees sales for the period?

In short: the manager wants to track user activities on different granular levels - report opens, filter applied, etc.

Maybe i could use Power BI REST API and retrieve audit logs? Maybe Microsoft Purview could be a solution? 

I really hope that some of you can and want to help me solving this problem!

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The advanced audit logging that they once promised has not materialized yet.  All we have so far is this : Track user activities in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn .  Note: does not include page or visual level tracking.

This one is also worth reading : Track user activities in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your answer.

Is there any other way to track the informartion? I mean if the normal activity and audit logging isn't advanced enough atm, then maybe bringing your own can solve the problem? see Power BI security white paper - Power BI | Microsoft Learn 

The requirements you describe are more applicable to forensics events. If you suspect data leakage/exposure (for example through faulty RLS) you can request a special ticket with Microsoft, allow them to decrypt your detail logs and conduct the forensics.  But that is limited to specific situations, takes a long time and is not scalable.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.