Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

AAD registered apps not showing up in grant access dialog

Hi folks,

I am trying to implement a dataset refresh logic via Azure Data Factories. The concept itself has a proven track record for several clients.

Right now I am facing the problem for our newest client, that no registered app is showing up in the workspace access dialog.

Here is a glimpse of the registered apps:

MM_1-1651591456283.png

And here the access dialog:

MM_2-1651591533907.png

Apps refuse to show up.

Is there any setting in the Power BI tenant I am not aware of, preventing anyone from adding apps to the workspaces? 

Best Regards

Mathias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous,

You need to set this option in the Power BI Admin Portal:

SpartaBI_2-1651595991234.png

SpartaBI_1-1651595806320.png

You can create an AAD security group and add the ADF managed identity, or any other service principal you wish to use, as a member of the group.

In case it answered your question please mark this as a solution to help other community members find it more easily. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous,

You need to set this option in the Power BI Admin Portal:

SpartaBI_2-1651595991234.png

SpartaBI_1-1651595806320.png

You can create an AAD security group and add the ADF managed identity, or any other service principal you wish to use, as a member of the group.

In case it answered your question please mark this as a solution to help other community members find it more easily. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @SpartaBI,

you were right from the start. The client used the wrong switch in the tenant admin panel:

MM_0-1651668334295.png

After he enabled the switch in the "Development" area it worked.

MM_1-1651668394982.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @SpartaBI,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this does not help. This setting is part of the overall setup to being able to use the API via Data Factory.

Also I have confirmed, that this setting is not needed in order to have an App Registration showing up in the grant access dialog. In "my" tenant it is sufficient to create a new app registration in AAD and it will show up immidiatley in the dialog in power BI. But not for this clients tenant...

Hi @Anonymous,

Did you check that your app has a service principal?

SpartaBI_0-1651609112897.png

If it does, I would try to add the service principal using an API: Add Group User
You can perform auth using a regular user.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.