Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

AAD registered apps not showing up in grant access dialog

Hi folks,

I am trying to implement a dataset refresh logic via Azure Data Factories. The concept itself has a proven track record for several clients.

Right now I am facing the problem for our newest client, that no registered app is showing up in the workspace access dialog.

Here is a glimpse of the registered apps:

MM_1-1651591456283.png

And here the access dialog:

MM_2-1651591533907.png

Apps refuse to show up.

Is there any setting in the Power BI tenant I am not aware of, preventing anyone from adding apps to the workspaces? 

Best Regards

Mathias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous,

You need to set this option in the Power BI Admin Portal:

SpartaBI_2-1651595991234.png

SpartaBI_1-1651595806320.png

You can create an AAD security group and add the ADF managed identity, or any other service principal you wish to use, as a member of the group.

In case it answered your question please mark this as a solution to help other community members find it more easily. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous,

You need to set this option in the Power BI Admin Portal:

SpartaBI_2-1651595991234.png

SpartaBI_1-1651595806320.png

You can create an AAD security group and add the ADF managed identity, or any other service principal you wish to use, as a member of the group.

In case it answered your question please mark this as a solution to help other community members find it more easily. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @SpartaBI,

you were right from the start. The client used the wrong switch in the tenant admin panel:

MM_0-1651668334295.png

After he enabled the switch in the "Development" area it worked.

MM_1-1651668394982.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @SpartaBI,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this does not help. This setting is part of the overall setup to being able to use the API via Data Factory.

Also I have confirmed, that this setting is not needed in order to have an App Registration showing up in the grant access dialog. In "my" tenant it is sufficient to create a new app registration in AAD and it will show up immidiatley in the dialog in power BI. But not for this clients tenant...

Hi @Anonymous,

Did you check that your app has a service principal?

SpartaBI_0-1651609112897.png

If it does, I would try to add the service principal using an API: Add Group User
You can perform auth using a regular user.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.