Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rammy
Helper I
Helper I

using gateway can i get data from SQL to power bi

Hi power bi community 

i have a problem and also i am new to power bi ,my problem is ,i want to get data from sql server which is placed in austraila  to power bi .i am doing some chnages in company sql server like allow remote access ,port change, firewall rule i did but nothing happen getting this error 

rammy_1-1640754610148.png

i am using ip,port,serverename,port ,hosdtname,port nothing is possible 

or i have an idea ,if i download the data gateway in company server  by using data gateway is it possible to get data from sql to power bi 

please help me on this 

Thanks in Advance

4 REPLIES 4
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rammy ,

If you are able to normally connect to SQL server using SSMS on the local. You should be able to connect from PowerBI Desktop without issue.

Please connect to SQL Server in Power BI Desktop using SQL authentication credentials.

Besides, please follow the instructions in the article below to troubleshoot this connection error.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/troubleshoot-connecting-to-th... 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@rammy , the Best way to check is are you able to connect to SQL server using SQL server management studio on the same machine you have power bi desktop.

If yes, use the same details on power bi desktop.

If you are able to connect on desktop and not on service. Then check for the gateway, if SQL server is on premise. If that is cloud, you can check by creating a connection in the dataflow.

Hi @amitchandak 

the sql server is placed in australia and i am in my home how do i access that data and get that to power bi is it possible to datagateway or do i need to do anything..i am doing some chnages in company sql server like allow remote access ,port change, firewall rule i did but nothing happen getting above error

please help me 

Thanks in advance

@rammy , datagateway is required for power bi service for on-premise databases. Do for Power BI Desktop it has no role.

Your Desktop IP, should be permitted, or you need or part of a VPN to access the same. With this error you are still not able to reach SQL server.

Port not is separated by comma or colon.

same way sometimes \ need to be used in place / in case of SQL server

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.