Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

RoxanaZaharia
Helper I
Helper I

duplicates?

Hello! I am working with this data set for my first project: https://www.kaggle.com/datasets/krishd123/olympics-legacy-1896-2020 , and i am trying to show top participants by the number of times they participated in the Olympic games. I was randomly filtering the name column just to show me one person, and i noticed that many rows are the same (photo). My question is, will the solution be affected by this and is creating a measure with the COUNTROWS function a good approach to solve this?  

RoxanaZaharia_0-1710655610937.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@RoxanaZaharia ,

make another visual like a bar chart that displays each name with the number of participation.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MNedix
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

The result makes sense because you have multiple values for Event (for one unique person). To get what you want, you have to create an additional measure using CONCATENATEX which will bring all the Event values into one row.

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @RoxanaZaharia,

no because each row seems to be for a specific year, so this athlete participated in this event for this year then for the year after, so if each row is a participation then you can do countrows and view it alogside the name of the athlete.

Hello @Idrissshatila ,

Is there a way to show details about their participation (Sport, Event, Season) and at the same time display the top participants by the number of times they participated in the Olympic Games? Because when I add details about their participation, the result will be like in the photo below, where their names appear scattered all over, so I lose the number of times (total) they participated in the Olympic Games.

RoxanaZaharia_0-1710668771391.png

@RoxanaZaharia ,

make another visual like a bar chart that displays each name with the number of participation.

MNedix
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,

You could try a measure DISTINCTCOUNT on the 1st column. Once you add the Name as a filter it will then show you all names with their participations in Olympics. If you get too many results, you can then use the TOPN function to limit the view to Top 25 for example.

PS: if this answers your question please mark it as a solution so others can see it.

I've tried this method, and I have a question: Is there a way to show details about their participation (Sport, Event, Season) and at the same time display the top participants by the number of times they participated in the Olympic Games? Because when I add details about their participation, the result will be like in the photo below, where their names appear scattered all over, so I lose the number of times (total) they participated in the Olympic Games.

RoxanaZaharia_0-1710662742891.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.