I am unable to connect to Oracle Database. getting an error - Details: "Oracle: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified".
I am able to connect to the same oracle database using Power Query in Excel but not able to connect with Power BI. This tells me I have downloaded the correct Oracle Client with the correct TSN.ORA and Service names.
Can anybody help me find a solution.
Look like the connection info you specified can't be resolved
Please see the following taken from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7957955/ora-12154-could-not-resolve-the-connect-identifier-specif...
Your problem may well be number 3 - does the application run as a different user than when you run the console?
Oracle looks for the tnsnames.ora file in the directory defined in the TNS_ADMIN environment variable - If you are running as different users, then maybe the TNS_ADMIN environment variable is not set, and therefore it cannot find the file?
Hope this helps,
I checked what your link suggested 1) sqlplus user - no errors there. 2) defined the TNS_ADMIN string in the registry in the two homes I had. I am still getting the same error. Mine is on premise and not a web application.
Don't know what else I need to do.
In simple terms, would you mind explaining the steps to resolve # 3? Thank you.
1. How do I determine what user the application runs as? This isn't immediately clear.
2. Not sure what the TNS_ADMIN environment variable is or how to set it in this case or whether google instructions on "how to set TNS environent variable" which I followed are even relevant, or if there's something else I need to do.
I was getting this as well, the solution for me was in the Server field to enter <server name>:<port>/<service name>. Then in the authentication window, select Database and enter the username and pasword.
Make sure your TNSNAMES.ORA file is updated to your new database in the oracle folder and it will work fine. I had the same issue and couldn't figure out what was happening, turns out the DB Admins changed the database hostname. Went in changed the tnsnames.ora file name to the new database connections and power BI connected with no problem.