Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

vojtechsima
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Virtual Table inside Measure - strange behaviour

Hi, guys,
I got stuck on one issue and I can't figure out why it works like that. I mean I have an idea, but it is still strange.

I have this sample data:

FlightDate|Number|DepartureTime

05.05.2022 123 05:05:59
04.05.2022 123 07:05:59
06.03.2022 56 07:05:59
09.02.2022 58 07:05:59
10.02.2022 456 07:05:59
01.01.2022 1232 07:03:59
01.01.2022 1232 07:05:59

I am trying to figure out if I have [Number] more than one time in my table and If so, evaluate whether it has the same [FlightDate] if not then return False.

I have an idea how to do it but I got stuck on some strange behaviour of the virtual table.
This is my table visual with the current Measure:

TestForDateTable = 
    var currentNumber = MAX(Flights[Number])
    var sameFlightDate = ADDCOLUMNS(SUMMARIZE(Flights, Flights[Number], Flights[FlightDate], "CountOfDuplicates", COUNTROWS(Flights)),"UniqueNumber", Flights[Number])
    var summrazizeNumbes = ADDCOLUMNS(SUMMARIZE(Flights, Flights[Number], "CountOfNumbers", COUNTROWS(Flights)), "UniqueNumber", Flights[Number])

var MatchNumbers = MAXX(FILTER(sameFlightDate, currentNumber = [UniqueNumber]), [CountOfDuplicates])
    var MatchFlightDate = MAXX(FILTER(sameFlightDate, MatchNumbers = [UniqueNumber]), [CountOfDuplicates])

return MatchNumbers

vojtechsima_0-1650976210205.png

This is what the Virtual Table looks like physically:

vojtechsima_1-1650976234659.png
So basically what I want to do is to take the Current Number filter inside the Virtual Table and assign the proper Count and then display it, however it somehow Displays always 1 instead of 2 when it should be 2. It works when I remove all other columns from my Table Visual but it has to work regardless of the Column I put into the Visual, right?

Could someone please advise what I do wrong and which filter context should I use to eliminate the context it'S getting? I already tried to use ALL and the whole ALL family but it doesn't change the outcome.

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
johnt75
Super User
Super User

You can use

Num Different Flights = 
var currentNumber = SELECTEDVALUE(Flights[Number])
var summaryTable = CALCULATETABLE( SUMMARIZE( Flights, Flights[FlightDate]), REMOVEFIlTERS(Flights), Flights[Number] = currentNumber)
return COUNTROWS( summaryTable )

View solution in original post

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

I don't see any necessity of complexity according to your description in case of such a simple question.

CNENFRNL_0-1650978628830.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

I don't see any necessity of complexity according to your description in case of such a simple question.

CNENFRNL_0-1650978628830.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Hi, @CNENFRNL 
Thank you, that's quite the optimization. 😄

Didn't think about it like that.

johnt75
Super User
Super User

You can use

Num Different Flights = 
var currentNumber = SELECTEDVALUE(Flights[Number])
var summaryTable = CALCULATETABLE( SUMMARIZE( Flights, Flights[FlightDate]), REMOVEFIlTERS(Flights), Flights[Number] = currentNumber)
return COUNTROWS( summaryTable )

Hi, @johnt75 
Didn't think about this point of view. Thank you, it obviously worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.