Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very Slow Data Load - 13 CSV files (folder) sizes 41-134mb

Hi all,

I have a folder query that references (currently) thirteen CSV files with sizes of 41 to 134mb. When refreshing, the query reaches the final step (the 131mb file), and just sits - literally hours. Total size of files combined is 812mb.

Waiting long enough allows the refresh to complete, but hours is not a sustainable approach. I've tried using DAX Studio to work out what is going on, but I cannot interpret the results very accurately.

I have turned off "Allow data preview to download in the background"

If anybody can help me either with solutions or potential diagnostics using DAX Studio I'd be appreciative. 

The query is not complex:

zhivana_0-1631586407286.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just recreated the query in a brand new Excel sheet. No problems. So went back over the initial query and noted the "sort rows" step. That was the problem!!

Apologies for wasting your time @amitchandak  shows you sometimes the solution is right in front of you

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Try these settings. Enable parallel load and increase memory management cache to 8-10 GB (should be supported by RAM for virtual memory)

Load Setting.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Morning @amitchandak ,

Tried as you suggested. No luck.

System is: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz with 16gb RAM, but the 32gb RAM machine next to me doesn't do it much faster.

I wondered if there was some other issue? I can load significantly larger data sets from other sources e.g. Google Analytics, SQL Analysis Services, much faster. 

Is there any way with DAX Studio to diagnose it? As mentioned, I've run it simultaneously, but I received no updates between query refresh start and finish, so perhaps I'm not using the tool properly/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just recreated the query in a brand new Excel sheet. No problems. So went back over the initial query and noted the "sort rows" step. That was the problem!!

Apologies for wasting your time @amitchandak  shows you sometimes the solution is right in front of you

Zhivana,

How did you identify the "sort rows" step as the culprit? And how did you have to alter it in order for the file ballooning to stop? I have a similar issue with my model.

Regards,

- H

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't recall exactly, but it was largely a "eureka" moment.

I was looking through each step in the query (as part of a general diagnostic) and wondered why I had sort rows in at all. 

So, I got rid of it, and it sped up considerably.

I simply deleted it - it didn't add any value anyway (and I'm pretty sure a new index column would achieve the same result in less time).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.