Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use "contains" query with Q&A

I want to use Q&A functionality to apply filters such as "contains". E.g. show all certificates where certificate name contains <my text>.

Is it even possible with Q&A? 

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Q&A is possible to understand the keyword 'contains' that you mention but it not able to direct apply the filter on your report or create a filter visual. (Q&A not able to create slicer or custom visuals)

Use Power BI Q&A to explore your data and create visuals 

I'd like to suggest you create a text filter visual to achieve your requirement.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anand24
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous,

Q&A by itself only filters within the Q&A visual. You can probably click on the answer provided by Q&A to filter other visuals.

Take below for example:

qna.PNG

Clicking on MSTR Analyst certificate will filter the table visual at bottom. Ctrl+Clicking various elements will filter accordingly.

If you want a functionality wherein you type your query in Q&A and want the result to automatically filter some other visual. that's not possible right now in Power BI as of my knowledge.

You can always use Text Filter suggested by @FarhanAhmed and @Pragati11 for achieving filtering through query.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

I tried and it works on my model, QA can understand the "contains" as below question I entered. Try rephrasing .

Fowmy_0-1596625763774.png

Did I answer your question? Mark this post as a solution, this will help others!.

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon on the right if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube, LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

Yes, Q&A will do this, in my data I can type 'show casessold by salesperson where salesperson contains "e"' and it works fine.

For your example 'show all certificates where certificate_name contains <my text>' you may want to add a "by" clause e.g "by certificate_name" at the end so you can check the contains clause. Something like..

'show all certificates where certificate_name contains "Stuart" by certificate_name"'

Note that (as in all DAX) the contains clause is not case-sensitive.

This works in Q&A on a Dashboard and Q&A in the Q&A Visual on a Report.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Hi, can we do 2 conditions like below?

Contains "A" and Contains "B"

Thanks

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try using Text Filter visual in Power BI to search for a values containing "x" value in it.

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104381309?src=office&tab=Overview

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

you can use "Text Filter" from MarketPlace for that. and below use Table/Matrix visual to view Certificates.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.