Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use "contains" query with Q&A

I want to use Q&A functionality to apply filters such as "contains". E.g. show all certificates where certificate name contains <my text>.

Is it even possible with Q&A? 

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Q&A is possible to understand the keyword 'contains' that you mention but it not able to direct apply the filter on your report or create a filter visual. (Q&A not able to create slicer or custom visuals)

Use Power BI Q&A to explore your data and create visuals 

I'd like to suggest you create a text filter visual to achieve your requirement.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anand24
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous,

Q&A by itself only filters within the Q&A visual. You can probably click on the answer provided by Q&A to filter other visuals.

Take below for example:

qna.PNG

Clicking on MSTR Analyst certificate will filter the table visual at bottom. Ctrl+Clicking various elements will filter accordingly.

If you want a functionality wherein you type your query in Q&A and want the result to automatically filter some other visual. that's not possible right now in Power BI as of my knowledge.

You can always use Text Filter suggested by @FarhanAhmed and @Pragati11 for achieving filtering through query.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

I tried and it works on my model, QA can understand the "contains" as below question I entered. Try rephrasing .

Fowmy_0-1596625763774.png

Did I answer your question? Mark this post as a solution, this will help others!.

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon on the right if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube, LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

Yes, Q&A will do this, in my data I can type 'show casessold by salesperson where salesperson contains "e"' and it works fine.

For your example 'show all certificates where certificate_name contains <my text>' you may want to add a "by" clause e.g "by certificate_name" at the end so you can check the contains clause. Something like..

'show all certificates where certificate_name contains "Stuart" by certificate_name"'

Note that (as in all DAX) the contains clause is not case-sensitive.

This works in Q&A on a Dashboard and Q&A in the Q&A Visual on a Report.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Hi, can we do 2 conditions like below?

Contains "A" and Contains "B"

Thanks

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try using Text Filter visual in Power BI to search for a values containing "x" value in it.

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104381309?src=office&tab=Overview

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

you can use "Text Filter" from MarketPlace for that. and below use Table/Matrix visual to view Certificates.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.