Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Show value with no data when filtering

Hello! I am a new Power BI user. I did some research on my question but was not able to find a solution.

I am trying to show a visualization (bar graph or matrix) that counts how many bugs are in each Sprint. For example, 2 bugs in Sprint 1, 3 bugs in Sprint 2, etc. See below for the column structure. I used basic filtering to filter out the "User Story" category. The issue is that Sprint 3 does not have any bugs, so it does not show up in my visualization, even when I select "Show items with no data." I would like it to show up in my visualization but am not sure how. Any suggestions? Not sure if I need to rearrange my columns, create a new measure, etc. 

SprintType
1User Story
1User Story
1Bug
1Bug
2User Story
2Bug
2Bug
2Bug
2User Story
3User Story
3User Story
3User Story
3User Story
3User Story

Sprint 3.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous solution attached, I hope this is what you are looking for.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous you can achieve with following steps:

create  new table for type using dax below

TypeTable = VALUES( YourTable[Type] )

Now create a measure for count using following DAX

Count Rows = 
CALCULATE(
Countrows( YourTable ), 
TREATAS( VALUES( TypeTable[Type] ), YourTable[Type] )
 )  

Now on graph, use type on x-axis and slicer from new typetable 

And it should work.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @parry2k , I appreciate the help.

I created the suggested TypeTable and Count Rows measures, but was unable to get the desired result (still cannot see Sprint 3 in the bar graph). I want to keep the Sprint field on the x-axis, not the Type field (see image in original post). Let me know if the data I pulled into the Axis, Type, and Count Rows fields are incorrect.

@Anonymous can you share sample data in excel

@Anonymous solution attached, I hope this is what you are looking for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I was able to reach a solution.

What was the solution? I'm having the same issue. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.