Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Show value with no data when filtering

Hello! I am a new Power BI user. I did some research on my question but was not able to find a solution.

I am trying to show a visualization (bar graph or matrix) that counts how many bugs are in each Sprint. For example, 2 bugs in Sprint 1, 3 bugs in Sprint 2, etc. See below for the column structure. I used basic filtering to filter out the "User Story" category. The issue is that Sprint 3 does not have any bugs, so it does not show up in my visualization, even when I select "Show items with no data." I would like it to show up in my visualization but am not sure how. Any suggestions? Not sure if I need to rearrange my columns, create a new measure, etc. 

SprintType
1User Story
1User Story
1Bug
1Bug
2User Story
2Bug
2Bug
2Bug
2User Story
3User Story
3User Story
3User Story
3User Story
3User Story

Sprint 3.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous solution attached, I hope this is what you are looking for.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous you can achieve with following steps:

create  new table for type using dax below

TypeTable = VALUES( YourTable[Type] )

Now create a measure for count using following DAX

Count Rows = 
CALCULATE(
Countrows( YourTable ), 
TREATAS( VALUES( TypeTable[Type] ), YourTable[Type] )
 )  

Now on graph, use type on x-axis and slicer from new typetable 

And it should work.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @parry2k , I appreciate the help.

I created the suggested TypeTable and Count Rows measures, but was unable to get the desired result (still cannot see Sprint 3 in the bar graph). I want to keep the Sprint field on the x-axis, not the Type field (see image in original post). Let me know if the data I pulled into the Axis, Type, and Count Rows fields are incorrect.

@Anonymous can you share sample data in excel

@Anonymous solution attached, I hope this is what you are looking for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I was able to reach a solution.

What was the solution? I'm having the same issue. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.