Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBI_V2
Helper IV
Helper IV

ServiceNow Integration with Power BI

Hello All,

We have a requirement to fully integrate ServiceNow with Power BI so that we can directly connect to ServiceNow using Power BI, & extract data & do reporting in Power BI.

Current Scanario: We downlaod the Incident, Service Request, Change Request & ticketing data from Service Now to Excel and upload it into sharepoint as manual process on daily basis. Power BI consume these excel(s) & we do the reporting. Downloaidng & uploading multiple files everyday is time consuming and prone to errors leading to potential inaccuraccies in data.

To Be Solution: We would like to streamline the process by directly connecting the serviceNow to Power BI to get Incident, Service Request, Change Request & Tickets data for our reporting in Power BI. We have heard that we can create Webservice in ServiceNow and same can be consumed in Power BI. Kindly suggest other approach also if any.

Additional question: 
1) We have around 12-15 reports for which we pull data from ServiceNow so do we need to create separate web service for each report
2) Database Access: Is there any way where we can connect to ServiceNow database and get the data directly.

Thanks,

PBI V2

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
gemcityzach
Helper III
Helper III

From what I know about ServiceNow there should already be an OData feed or some kind of API you can connect to  directly from PowerBI. Based on the article below it looks like you need to have some kind of REST provisioned to your role when accessing.

Explore your ServiceNow® Data with Power BI | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

View solution in original post

v-zhouwen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gemcityzach ,thanks for the quick reply, I'll add further.

Hi @PBI_V2 ,

The following article may be helpful. Install the ODBC driver to the virtual machine hosting the gateway and Power BI Desktop.Then add the ODBC datasource to the gateway, whitelist the IP address of the gateway machine, and add the required ports to the firewall rules.

Solved: PowerBI connection with ServiceNow - Microsoft Fabric Community

View solution in original post

Pbidev342
Helper I
Helper I

4 REPLIES 4
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Check out this video. It is a free method to connect to the database:

https://youtu.be/vz2iHuhTAXM?si=WrGlDLoOR5Drs966

Pbidev342
Helper I
Helper I

v-zhouwen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gemcityzach ,thanks for the quick reply, I'll add further.

Hi @PBI_V2 ,

The following article may be helpful. Install the ODBC driver to the virtual machine hosting the gateway and Power BI Desktop.Then add the ODBC datasource to the gateway, whitelist the IP address of the gateway machine, and add the required ports to the firewall rules.

Solved: PowerBI connection with ServiceNow - Microsoft Fabric Community

gemcityzach
Helper III
Helper III

From what I know about ServiceNow there should already be an OData feed or some kind of API you can connect to  directly from PowerBI. Based on the article below it looks like you need to have some kind of REST provisioned to your role when accessing.

Explore your ServiceNow® Data with Power BI | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.